Sign in with
Your question

Good air cooler for ocing i7-2600k

Last response: in Overclocking
October 24, 2011 5:19:45 AM

hi guys, can anyone recommend me a good and affordable cpu cooler and case fans for my i7-2600k. i am planning to oc it to 4.5ghz, so advise me accordingly :D  i heard of complains of aftermarket coolers that does not help much, please give me good advice thanks! :D  oh and i am inclined to buy coolermaster's products, so it will be good if the recommendations can come from cooler master's products :D 
October 24, 2011 5:38:28 AM

coolermaster hyper 212+ is the standard recommendation that can reach 4.5ghz and its only around $30.

then you move up to high prices cooler thats just slightly better.
m
l
October 24, 2011 6:10:30 AM

how about case fans? i was thinking of getting the excalibur
m
l
Related resources
October 24, 2011 8:12:12 PM

zhihao50 said:
coolermaster hyper 212+ is the standard recommendation that can reach 4.5ghz and its only around $30.

then you move up to high prices cooler thats just slightly better.

Is 212+ really that good that people all around the Internet keep recommending it even for overclocks as high as 4.5 GHz? How does 212+ compare to, for example, Corsair A70 or Zalman CNPS10X Quiet or Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B? They're all pretty affordable if you ask me.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
October 24, 2011 9:18:45 PM

spend a little more then 30 bucks. try a themalteck frio or if you really want a kind then the noctua nh-d14 is the best out there. heat is the killer for cpu's so dont cheap out on a cooler especially since your overclocking.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
October 24, 2011 9:37:28 PM

The link below has test data on the popular HSFs so you can compare them objectively.

The Hyper 212+ is an excellent HSF especially for the price but if you want to max out your CPU, then you'll want the better HSFs. Be sure to read the full HSF review regarding clearance issues in some cases or concerning RAM slots.

http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm#INTELHEATSI...
m
l
October 24, 2011 10:38:18 PM

the thermaltake frio and a70 is quite a bit more expensive than the hyper 212 + from what i see. is abt 2x more exx
m
l
October 24, 2011 10:45:37 PM

beenthere said:
The link below has test data on the popular HSFs so you can compare them objectively.

The Hyper 212+ is an excellent HSF especially for the price but if you want to max out your CPU, then you'll want the better HSFs. Be sure to read the full HSF review regarding clearance issues in some cases or concerning RAM slots.

http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm#INTELHEATSI...

oh and i am getting a msi p67a-c45 motherboard. does msi's motherboard allow me to adjust fanspeeds?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
October 25, 2011 1:32:30 AM

2ltjoel said:
oh and i am getting a msi p67a-c45 motherboard. does msi's motherboard allow me to adjust fanspeeds?

Sorry I don't know what the current MSI mobos allow for fan speed control in the BIOS but MSI's tech support should be able to advise.
m
l
!