How to retrieve files from Western Digital my passport for mac

GPquest

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2011
Hello,
How do I retrieve/examine files from the Western Digital my passport I am using for mac? I have done some research and they say it may have to be formatted. How do i determine if this external storage has been formatted or not?
Thanks
GP

LenaS311

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011
Go for an efficient mac data recovery software for the same purpose, i will ask you to use Kernel for Macintosh data recovery software which can recover data from HFS & HFS+ partitions of mac instantly. it recovers data from mac partitions which are deleted or formatted or corrupted.

niksimpsons

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011

Only I can understand with this is that your research is trying to say you have to install Mac supported file system (which I think it already installed since you are using it in Mac). Now what you need to do is, find some good Mac data recovery software before making any use of the drive. If you want me to recommend software I would recommend a very effective Mac Data Recovery software called Stellar Phoenix. Best part of this software is you can see the preview of the data/file before going for actual recovery..

Bird A

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011

In your case the first step to recover your data is to stop using your WD drive containing the lost files as you may quite ruin chances of data recovery. Note: any data editing or adding may cause data overwritten. Then you can rely on a recovery program to see if the data can be recovered if possible. Formatting is just another word for making files "HIDDEN" :)

Data Recovery for MAC is the one you may take a try. Connect your WD to your Mac machine and then install the program to start, it's pretty easy. But you should remember - the more you use your WD passport, the less likely you may be able to recover the data back! Again STOP using the drive ASAP before the data are recovered. Good luck! :bounce:

jenniffer

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2011
It is not impossible to recover lost mac data. You can recover lost data from available backup. But real data loss situation arises when no backup is available. In that situation, professional data recovery software Mac can help to recover lost data. Once I have used this tool to recover my lost word documents and it completes the task successfully.

N took

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012
I downloaded StellaPhoenix (supposedly for free), which came up when I clicked on your 'mac data recovery software link'. Spent most of the afternoon running the search (shut down everything else on my computer) and it found 116MG files as expected. I actually wanted to just delete these files rather than recover them, as they were old backups, but when I tried to restore them so I could delete them, I was asked to put in a key code, taken to a site to give my email to recieve it, then shunted to the next page asking me to pay $99 !!!

It seems a lot of these highlighted links go to the same product.

So thanks everyone.

I hope they pay you well enough to feel good about wasting peoples time like this. :non:

Back handers. :pfff:

Right royal pain in the arse. :fou:

Had it said up front there would be a fee I could have assessed the value of what i needed to do, and done some market research for the best deals.

If there is anyone out there NOT gaining something by suggesting a good solution to this seemingly endemic problem with WD passport, please speak now!

kimterie

Reputable
May 4, 2014

A good way is to use WD data recovery software, here's a good one: WD hard drive file recovery

helped me last time. Hope that it helps you also.

You may also try this 001 file recovery program