Phenom II 965 HIGH fan speeds

gihzmo

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2008
I just put a new system together using a Phenom II 965 as the CPU. the system runs great, except for the fact that the stock CPU cooler is always running really fast. When I first set everything up it was running around 3500-3800 RPM which was nice and quiet. However, now it never drops below 5200 RPM. At 0% CPU usage the temp is around 41C, at 100% using Prime95 the temp goes up to about 52C for temp1 and the Core is 53C and the fan runs at 5700 RPM.

Do I need to be concerned about the temp, and can I do anything about the high fan speeds?

Also, I have an Antec 900 case will all the case fans turned as high as they will go.

Thanks!

gihzmo

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2008
I doubt that it is dust, the system is less then a week old. I looked in the bios and didn't see anything. I don't know if the air was just warm yesterday or what but today the fan speed is back down to 3342, temp1 is at 31C and the core is at 28C. Under Prime95 100% load the temp1 is 50C and the core is 51C and the fan speed is 4600RPM.

Seems a bit odd to me.

gihzmo

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2008
Ok... now it is back up to 4800RPM temp 1 is 31C and Core is 31. So apparently its during midday when it is warmest that I am having the problem. Do you think I need to get an aftermarket cooler, or just re-apply some artic silver or something. I just used the pad of thermal paste that came with the processor.

lok

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
I believe the BIOS fan control is based on the CPU and mobo temp readings; there is no temp reading from the cooler. That means that if your CPU is cool and the fan speed is high, applying a different paste will make no difference. (If the CPU temp is low, the BIOS should automatically select a low fan speed unless you told it not to.)

Your BIOS might be regulating it against a different temp reading (what you're describing sounds like it is). Did you carefully check that you have the CPU fan plugged into the right mobo connector and that the connection isn't loose or anything? That seems to be the likeliest cause...

The only other reasons I can think of are a performance setting in the BIOS (that's less likely with what you're describing, and you said you couldn't find anything) or some kind of BIOS issue. If nothing else solves it, I would try re-flashing the BIOS.