Jun 27, 2009
Hello, I have been having memory issues with recent build of mine:
CPU: Q8200
RAM: CORSAIR XMS3 DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)Model TW3X4G1333C9A G
Motherboard: Asrock P43DE3
Video Card: MSI R4700 Cyclone
Hard drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3750528AS 750GB
Optical Drive: Sony Optiarc 24X DVD/CD Rewritable Drive

Here is my problem: I recently started having stability issues. Due to this, I ran a memtest86+ pass or two, and it came out with about 12 errors. So I switched ram with another computer running 4 gigs of Crucial DDR3 1333Mhz ram, and after that both computers passed. I switched back, and my quad core still found errors. I am going to RMA my Corsair ram just in case, but can anyone think of why it would fail but pass on another system while other ram passed on the system the Corsair ram failed on? I then realized that when the ram in question (the Corsair) passed on my other computer, it had different timings. I changed my quad core to those timings, and it refused to boot. I then switched to the Crucial ram, it booted, and I changed the timings back. I am now thoroughly confused :eek: . Thanks for any help.

Solution

The slightly higher voltage shouldn't be a problem. Is the Q8200 running at stock speed? Have you tried testing each stick separately in the P43DE3? The P43twins1600 may be setting looser sub-timings or giving it higher voltage on auto. Manually set the voltage to 1.5 in it and see if it still passes.

Only thing I can suggest is test each stick of the Corsair one at a time while manually setting the speed, timing, and voltage to manufacturer specs on the P43DE3. If they fail, then RMA them.
Depending on what the other system is running could have been runing at diffrent speed. Timeings will need to be relaxed the higher the MHZ get thats the only reason i can think. Another might be your motherboard did you check if it supported that ram.

orangegator

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007
In order to give you an answer, you need to give the following info:

1. Speed, timings, and voltage that the Corsair ram was running at in each board
2. Speed, timings, and voltage that the Crucial ram was running at in each board.
3. The model of the other motherboard and cpu used in it.

theman101

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2009
Board one (Asrock P43DE3), Corsair RAM (same for Crucial): 1333Mhz, 9-9-9-24, Auto
Board two (Asrock P43twins1600), Crucial ram (same as Corsair): 1354 (or something similar, due to overclocking), Auto (Memtest86+ shows it running at 9-6-6-16, but I think that's incorrect as showed earlier), Auto

Board one has a Q8200, board two has an E7400 O/C'd to 3.54Ghz
Neither board shows support for either stick or RAM. Is it really necessary for RAM to be officially supported?

Is it really necessary for RAM to be officially supported?[/quotemsg]

Not always but sometimes it will have issues it might not set the timeings or the voltages correctly which will cause instability its always good to go with ram that is supported to rule out any problems especially if your overclocking.

theman101

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2009
I manually set the timings, so that shouldn't be a problem. However, the lowest voltage setting on the P43DE3 is 1.56v, could that be causing problems, as the Corsair ram is rated for 1.5v?

orangegator

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007

The slightly higher voltage shouldn't be a problem. Is the Q8200 running at stock speed? Have you tried testing each stick separately in the P43DE3? The P43twins1600 may be setting looser sub-timings or giving it higher voltage on auto. Manually set the voltage to 1.5 in it and see if it still passes.

Only thing I can suggest is test each stick of the Corsair one at a time while manually setting the speed, timing, and voltage to manufacturer specs on the P43DE3. If they fail, then RMA them.

Solution

theman101

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2009
Only thing I can suggest is test each stick of the Corsair one at a time while manually setting the speed, timing, and voltage to manufacturer specs on the P43DE3.

Trying this now. I remember I got one of the sticks of the Corair ram to pass memtest, but then they both passed on the other computer, so I got confused....

theman101

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2009
Well, manually adjusting the voltage to 1.56v appears to have fixed something, as both sticks of Corsair RAM pass 2 passes Memtest86+ v4.00 individually and in tandem :D . I'll work on the overclock now (I'm aiming for 2.66Ghz, that's as high as I could get it without getting above 150ºF, which is my cutoff) and see if I can get that working. Thanks for your help!