Sign in with
Your question

Undetected external hard drive

Last response: in Storage
June 12, 2011 5:05:25 AM

Hi I have 500GB External Drive (Medion Drive-n-go). Recently i tried to connect my harddrive to my laptop and it does not came up. It was running perfectly before, but suddenly it has gone unreadable. I tried using different laptops but still nothing comes up when i tries to connect my hard drive. Pl help to solve this problem. I have some important documents and some Pictures which i would to recover.
a b D Laptop
a c 124 G Storage
June 12, 2011 5:12:45 PM

Welcome to Tom's Hardware Forum!

Does the ext. drive show up in 'Device Manager'? If so, disable it in device manager, then re-start the computer. (Do not format this disk at this point).

There is a possibility that the external drive may have failed. In this event, the hard disk inside will be fine. Remove the hard disk and then connect the hard disk as an internal disk, and retrieve all the data files.

After doing this, make a backup of the entire computer onto another external disk. This should be done on a regular basis anyway.
m
l
September 14, 2012 4:44:28 PM

Ubrales said:
Welcome to Tom's Hardware Forum!

Does the ext. drive show up in 'Device Manager'? If so, disable it in device manager, then re-start the computer. (Do not format this disk at this point).

There is a possibility that the external drive may have failed. In this event, the hard disk inside will be fine. Remove the hard disk and then connect the hard disk as an internal disk, and retrieve all the data files.

After doing this, make a backup of the entire computer onto another external disk. This should be done on a regular basis anyway.

hello I am also having this problem!!!! But i dont know how you get the disk out of the external hard drive can you please help me as i am getting no hel from elsewhere nd would be devastates to lose all my family memories :(  thank you

heather
m
l
a c 76 G Storage
September 14, 2012 8:57:16 PM

Find your HDD model
Search that in YouTUBE or Google "your HDD model + Disassemble"

You will find it
m
l
!