wrxpunk

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011
Alrighty im looking to build my first watercooling set up in my system. yes i have been researching the hell out of it for the past few months. im looking to do a loop to cool an overclocked I7 920, chipset, and 3x GTX 470's.

my CPU block im looking at is a: Swiftech Apogee XT
the Rads im looking at are: XSPC 4x120, and 2x120
the chipset block is a: EK EVGA X58 SLI LE block
the GPU blocks are: Swiftech MCW82 + the full cover heatsinks for the GTX 470's
All BitsPower fittings
the pump/res im looking at is the: XSPC X2O 750
the tubing is PrimoChill PrimoFlex 1/2ID 3/4OD Tubing
and coolant is PrimoChill Pure Extreme Coolant

the loop is going to be:

pump>cpu>chipset>240 rad>470>470>470>480 rad>back to pump

now i will have the 90degree fittings on the swiftech gpu blocks.. ive heard mixed things about the 90's causing extreme flow restriction and stuff but idk thats why im here!

it will all be installed in a Corsair 600T Case with the 480 rad mounted off the back.

now my questions are...

is that pump going to have enough power to push through that loop effectively as a single loop?

are my rad's going to provide enough cooling for all the heat ill be creating?

is there any critical components i have overlooked?

are there any just major flaws that are going to create chaos for me down the line?

ANY and ALL help would be greatly appreciated!

thanks everyone!

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Which XSPC rads, RS or RX series?

X20 pump, probably not a wise choice in this large of a loop. I'd personally consider a stronger pump which would also potentially require a different res if you were looking to keep the pump/res combo concept.

Do not need coolant. (why do we continue to get people thinking they need some kind of 'magical coolant/additive?)

Don't worry too much about 90 degree fittings...most are designed for higher flow.

Decent CPU block, there are others that are cheaper and perform as well. (Rasa/Raystorm)

Not really in need of NB block, but depending how high you OC, might be useful.

i7 TDP= 130w (stock)
GTX 470 = 215w (x3) (stock)
NB = unknown TDP

You are looking at ~775watts of heat at 100% load without factoring in the NB block. Overclocking the i7, you might be closer to 800w total (which would be a good ceiling to shoot for). XSPC RS rads might be cutting it short unless you run push/pull fans for sure; RX series would give you the head room for OC.

PS- this is going to be an expensive loop once it's all said and done. :)

wrxpunk

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011
well the 240 rad has to be RS because i learned that the RX wont fit in the top of the corsair 600t..

and what if i look at doing the Swiftech MCP655 in the XSPC Res thats made for it?

and as per the coolant, from the info i gathered coolant is better the just distilled water especially if i would consider a non-all copper set up?

again im new at this and some of the questions are probably dumb ones lol

It seems to me to be an awful lot for one loop with one pump. Since this is your first water cooling adventure have you considered starting out small , say just cool the cpu or just the video cards. The good thing about water cooling is you can always reconfigure or add to it. Distilled water is the way to go and it transfers heat better than these special coolants and if you do want some color just add a little dye. I am currently cooling the cpu , the ram and three video cards and I have two loops to do that. In any water cooling loop you do want either a resivoir or fill port and drain port to add and take out fluid.

wrxpunk

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011
yeah so im fine with only using the RS version of it for the top.

im only looking to OC the cpu to 4.0 (its an I7 940) so its not that bad..

i dont need to OC the 470's and they have the newest firmware so they run slightly cooler than the original firmware heat issues.

but now im at my last question...

how do these mcw82's actually perform!?

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I have MCW60's (which are the older versions) and they run great. Swiftech makes some pretty good universal GPU blocks where others aren't quite as good. They still don't quite flow or perform up to a full cover block, but being universal makes up for that. I've had mine on 5 different nVidia card versions so far going back to the 6800GT.

Before that, I had a DD Maze 4.