HTPC setup questions for a newbie

bgaviator1

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
Hello,
I am about to embark on my first HTPC. Being this is my first time building one (but not building a pc) I have some questions based on my situation.

1. It seems like a standard ATX mid-tower case would be easiest to work with, and they tend to be cheaper than HTPC cases....however, most of the more affordable HTPC cases seem to have the same issue.....tight space for installing graphics cards like the Radeon 4870. I would like to make my HTPC capable of being able to do a decent amount of high end games as well, so hence the graphics card....not to mention the 4870's ability to output HDMI and upscale standard DVD video. How do you feel about this case issue? I am afraid if I go with a standard tower case, that it won't fit in any future TV stands that I might own as most of what I see on the market nowadays for HDTVs have not very tall shelving options.

2. I currently don't own a flat panel HDTV. I have a regular tube tv with multiple inputs utilizing the two audio and 1 video cable. I guess these are RCA jacks or composite cable jacks?
So if I get a TV tuner card for my HTPC, and run the cable coaxial into it.....is there a way to run the output video/audio from my Radeon 4870 even though I don't have an HDTV? Is the video quality going to be degraded? I know that once I have an HDTV, the Radeon will output via HDMI, but until then I'm not sure how this will work.

Well those are my two big concerns right now. Please help if able, thanks.

Solution

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

Most older CRT televisions have a composite video input. Most video cards come with a TV-Out connector and cable adapters to use it with Composite and S-Video cables.

Solution