Sims 2 Won't Run

I am trying to play the Sims 2 with the official patch installed on my
PC but the game won't play. I get as far as the EA splash screen
where it whispers, "Challenge everything" & then my PC freezes up. I
can't use CTRL+ALT+DELETE to bring up the Task Master or anything. I
have to power off my PC with the on/off switch to get it to work
again. My system specs are:

Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2
(2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519)
System Manufacturer: Compaq
System Model: Presario 7110US 470016-083
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) Processor, MMX, 3DNow, ~1.3GHz
Memory: 768MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

Video card:
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400
Chip type: GeForce2 MX/MX 400
Display Memory: 64.0 MB
Current Mode: 800 x 600 (32 bit) (85Hz)
Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
Driver Name: nv4_disp.dll
Driver Version: 6.14.0010.6176 (English)
DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 7/12/2004 16:50:00, 3740032 bytes

Does anyone have any ideas? I did have a hard time installing the
game, kept getting file transfer errors from the DVD. I finally had
to copy the DVD to my hard drive & install it that way.

Thanks.
-----
Kim/Dreamspinner3
Visit My Homepage: http://members.tripod.com/dreamspinner3/

Well,I think that the system requirements said that it needed at least a
1.6 Ghz processor if you have AMD,and I think that you also should have
a video card with at least 128 mb video memory.

I hope that someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Munch.

From my previous reply:Well,I think that the system requirements said
that it needed at least a 1.6 Ghz processor if you have AMD,and I think
that you also should have a video card with at least 128 mb video
memory.

I also forgot to say that your video card has to support directX 9.0,I
think.

Munch.

According to EA Tech support, my PC does meet the minimum requirements
to run the game. I've been in email contact with them for days now &
it is boiling down to what they think is a bad DVD.

From the game's website:

If you have a T&L capable video card with at least 32 MB of video RAM
then you need at least:
800 MHz processor or better
256 MB RAM if Windows XP, Windows ME, Windows 98 or Windows 2000
At least 3.5 GB of hard drive space

If you have a non-T&L capable video card (an Intel Extreme Graphics or
a Radeon 7000/VE Series) then you need at least:
2.0 GHz processor or better
256 MB RAM if Windows XP, Windows ME, Windows 98, or Windows 2000
At least 3.5 GB of hard drive space.

So the processor speed is a factor ONLY IF YOU DON'T have a T&L
capable video card, which I supposed do. My video card is a 64MB SDR
nVIDIA GeForce2 MX with TV-Out AGP graphic card. I have the latest
drivers install that are compatible with it, the Nvidia drivers dated
7/12/04 version 6.1.7.6. Any drivers later than this version do not
work with my video card.

I want to upgrade my video card but was told by Compaq that my
motherboard will only support 2x/4x AGP cards, so what I'd like to
find is a video card that is a bit older but still faster than what I
currently have.

I currently have 786mb of RAM installed, so that should be more than
enough to run the game. I'm running Windows XP on a Compaq Presario
model 7110US.

-----
Kim/Dreamspinner3
Visit My Homepage: http://members.tripod.com/dreamspinner3/

Try using msconfig and disable all startup programs.

Thats what I had to do on my desktop... also do not have anything like AIM
running in background.