battery life?

Tags:
  • Laptops
  • Battery
  • Dell Inspiron
Last response: in Laptop General Discussion
a b D Laptop
May 12, 2004 8:58:12 PM

Archived from groups: comp.laptops,comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Hi,

my Dell Inspiron 8100 battery is not working properly.

For the past 6-8 months it charges, then looses it power very quickly,
usually 1-3 minutes and the laptop goes into hibernation.

Is the battery dead?

Thanks

More about : battery life

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 12, 2004 10:18:30 PM

blockhed wrote:
> Hi,
>
> my Dell Inspiron 8100 battery is not working properly.
>
> For the past 6-8 months it charges, then looses it power very quickly,
> usually 1-3 minutes and the laptop goes into hibernation.
>
> Is the battery dead?
>
> Thanks

Yes.

Remove "nospam" from return address.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 12, 2004 10:19:00 PM

Archived from groups: comp.laptops,comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

How many hours alltogether have you used the battery?

remove 1414 wrote:

> Hi,
>
> my Dell Inspiron 8100 battery is not working properly.
>
> For the past 6-8 months it charges, then looses it power very quickly,
> usually 1-3 minutes and the laptop goes into hibernation.
>
> Is the battery dead?
>
> Thanks
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 13, 2004 4:47:54 PM

I'll bet that you left it in the laptop while the laptop was almost
continuously connected to AC power, right?

That kills batteries due to overcharging and heat.

B. Peg wrote:

> Mine only last about a year. Same symptoms, very fast drain after a lengthy
> charge.
> B~

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 27, 2004 7:02:04 PM

I didn't think this theory as widely accepted?

> I'll bet that you left it in the laptop while the laptop was almost
> continuously connected to AC power, right?
>
> That kills batteries due to overcharging and heat.
>

> B. Peg wrote:
>
> > Mine only last about a year. Same symptoms, very fast drain after a
lengthy
> > charge.
> > B~

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 29, 2004 4:27:00 PM

Chip Orange wrote...
> Barry Watzman wrote ...
> > I'll bet that you left it in the laptop while the laptop was almost
> > continuously connected to AC power, right?
> >
> > That kills batteries due to overcharging and heat.
> >
> I didn't think this theory as widely accepted?

Overcharging isn't a normally problem with Li-ion batteries: they vent
hydrogen when overcharged- generally as a sheet of flame! Hence laptops
must have a very good battery management circuitry that prevents
overcharging.

Temperature is another matter - the higher the temperature the faster the
inevitable loss of capacity. Most manufacturers advise storage in a cool
place - preferably at 40-50% charge if storage is going to be for an
extended period.

I have two batteries, which I keep out of the laptop when on mains power
(unless I'm doing something critical like a BIOS upgrade where loss of power
would be disastrous). I keep one battery fully charged and the other at 40%
and top it up when I need to take it on the road, periodically swapping main
and spare to give them both the same amount of use.

David
!