1gc

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
I'm building an i7 system with an Asus p6t6 motherboard and I spread a very thin amount of thermal paste on the heatspreader not paying attention that the base of the cooler comes with three strips of thermal paste. Is that going to be a problem?

Solution

Ofcourse, you don't want to much thermal paste because its just meant to fill in the spaces to compensate for the uneven surfaces of the heatsink and the part it cools so more surfaces touches to get more heat dissipation. A tiny layer is all you need for it.

skora

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
Too much can cause issues. Since it sounds like you caught this before putting the HSF on, you can clean it off with some rubbing alcohol and let it dry. Then just use the after market stuff that's already on the CPU.

If you didn't catch this, then you can clean off both parts and reapply the good stuff.

Theres some application info in this article that may help you.
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=150&Itemid=62

blackhawk1928

Distinguished

Ofcourse, you don't want to much thermal paste because its just meant to fill in the spaces to compensate for the uneven surfaces of the heatsink and the part it cools so more surfaces touches to get more heat dissipation. A tiny layer is all you need for it.

Solution