Prime95 error on stock i7-920

ob1ivi0n

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
Hey guys

Well I just put together my computer this week, and I was stress testing it using prime95 and RealTemp to make sure everything was working on stcok settings before I started overclocking.

Unfortunately, prime95 says I get rounding errors after it has been running for awhile. I thought I might have got a bad stick of RAM, but memtest86 found no problems (I tested all 6GB at once, then each 2GB stick individually just to be sure).

I read that some other causes of rounding errors are voltages that are too low on the CPU, or temperatures that are too high. Since my i7-920 D0 is still on stock settings I don't think that the CPU would be a problem. I have a Scythe Mugen 2 installed, and even after stress testing for and hour or so RealTemp says the temperatues stay between 50-55 degrees.

Does anyone have any ideas on what the problem would be? I was thinking of remounting my heatsink just to make sure that there were no air bubbles there (I spread the thermal paste pretty thin), but I'd rather not take my PC to pieces again if I can help it.

ob1ivi0n

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
I have 3x2GB OCZ Platinum DDR3 PC3-12800 7-7-7-24

No, I have basically just put the RAM in the slots for the moment, I honestly didn't think it would matter too much...

I'll set the timings now and let you know what happens, thanks.

ob1ivi0n

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
I set the timings to 7-7-7-24 and the voltage to 1.64V, and I'll run prime95 for a few hours now.

Thanks a lot for the help, I'll edit this post with the result.

Edit: Ran prime95 for 12 hours no problems, everything seems to be working.

I don't suppose anyone knows if the OCZ platinum RAM uses Samsung or Hynix chips? I have to flash the BIOS of my Gigabyte GTX 275 because of screen detection issues, and there are two different BIOS depending on what type of memory you have. I've been searching but it looks like it's hard to tell without taking of the heatspreader (something I'd rather not do).

---Never mind, it looks like they use Micron IC's. Maybe gigabyte will release a BIOS for those chips as well soon.---