walt526

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
Good evening,

I'm interested in building a customizable computer, but the last time that I attempted it (~10 years ago) I didn't properly attach the CPU cooling system and wound up burning out the processor. I'm comfortable installing everything else, but I really don't want to ruin another processor (and possibly worse).

So I was wondering, are the CPU/MB/fan combos that are sold on www.smksuperstore.com preassembled? As in all I would have to do is connect install the motherboard inside the case and then attach the remaining components other than the CPU? Or would I have to buy the case and whatnot from them as well? Is there another site that sells preassembled CPU/MB's that are more reasonable?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

fragmentedpsychology

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure you can't get the fan/CPU/motherboard put together without ridiculous fees for the entire assembly.

If this is your only fear, you could try assembling it yourself, then monitoring the temperature with a program like this one http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/ . If you see any problems, just shut it down immediately and figure out what happened.

$500PCenthusiast

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
My first two builds were six years ago. Since then I haven't built a new one until recently - one for me and one for mom. I never experienced temperature problems with any of the builds.

This is what I would say and hopefully it helps:

Understanding (a little) the use and purpose of thermal paste/heatsinks/CPU fan helps alot! Find an overclockers review on CPU heatsinks {preferrably one comparing multiple products} and you will feel confident enough to do the task yourself. The review should speak of difficulties or ease of installation, and have temperature benchmarks. All this information is a helpful guide. Oh and .. don't forget the CPU fan plug! Even veterans miss that sometimes.

4745454b

Titan
If my memory serves, tigerdirect and possible directron both offer assembly for parts. You'll pay more this way, but if it provides peace of mind its worth it. I don't think either place changes much. (You'll pay more for the parts however.) Do you know anyone who could do that part for you?

4745454b

Titan
damn, where is that +1 button...

Its odd however that Intels official documents say to install the CPU with the mobo in the case already. I think they are worried about cracking the mobo. If you take your time, doing it outside the case is best however.

If its an AMD motherboard definitely do it outside the case, i didnt and almost ended up cracking my motherboard because it takes so much force. Just follow instructions and you will be fine, if you are really concerned about it and you do decide to go intel get an aftermarket cooler so you dont have to worry about the push pins coming loose.