OMG my 1 TB external hdd disappeared because of check disk command :((

salam2009

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2011
hey guys,
I have external iomega screenplay pro hdd, it was working just fine a long time ago but last night when I tried to copy from/into it, I noticed slowness/stucking progress. I thought it had sort of errors or bad sectors so I went to the command prompt & typed chkdsk x: /f to fix it & operation started. a few minutes later chkdsk stopped & an error showed up telling me check disk has failed.
Then, I restarted my windows 7 & I was blowing away that the hdd has disappeared from my computer & even disk management!!
I also checked it in Hiren's Programs in DOS & BIOS but it vanished!
Now it's flashing blue led & the spin,fan working with no drive at all.
I tried everything with no luck like changing usb cable, connecting the hdd in another pc, etc...
PLEASE don't tell it gone forever cause I had very important stuff on it & chkdsk command shouldb't do such thing, right?! :(
Really appreciate your help
Salaam

salam2009

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2011

How can I do that?!

Well, you will want to make sure it's out of warranty because once you open the case it will most likely void the warranty.

1. Make sure you have a free sata port on your motherboard and that it is enabled in the bios.

2. You will need to find all the screws that are holding the enclosure together and remove them all. Gently remove the drive from it's case and disconnect the cables.

3. Use a sata cable to attach the drive to the motherboard and a spare sata power cable from your power supply to power the drive.

4. Power up the computer and see if you can find the drive. You may need to go into disk management and assign the drive a letter in order to properly view it in windows.

5. If you are uncomfortable doing this yourself, have a friend that has more experience doing this do it for you. If you need more help, youtube has plenty of videos on installing a hard drive.

salam2009

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2011

Thanks for the help but, my external hdd doesn't have any sata ports to connect with. It has usb & mini usb to transfer data into the pc.
Maybe my hdd has sort of index (table) crash or error after chkdsk failure
I can't even believe that my 1 TB gone forever, it has so many important things to me!!
Besides, check disk command can't swipe them all in seconds!! ,it doesn't make any sense :(