I7 overclocking lifetime

Techeiden

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
I am just curious as to how long an i7 2600k's lifetime will be if overclocked. It would be great if someone could tell me the the lifetime at these clock speeds: 4, 4.5, 5, 5.5 . Thanks you.

HugoStiglitz

Distinguished
every cpu will be different. there are slight variations when a CPU is made which is why some cpu's overclock better than others.

this also will determine the life time of the CPU when its overclocked.

e.g. Sample A (2600k) MAX stable overclock's to 6ghz on water but is run every day at 5ghz will prob have quite a long life.

e.g. Sample B (2600k) MAX stable overclock's to 5ghz on water but is run every day at 4.8ghz will have a significantly shorter lifespan than sample A's life.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
I agree- limit heat and voltage to reasonable levels and it should last well beyond its useful lifespan. Both of my desktop workstations are overclocked to their limit and I haven't had a problem with either of them. My workstation at work runs 24/7 and has done so for 2.5 years straight. You mention a variety of speeds- most people seem to get 4.5GHz and beyond with the 2600k, but I don't think you can count on getting to 5.0. It will depend on your particular chip and how good your cooling is.

mayankleoboy1

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
one rule of thumb is that higher voltages will ruin your chip much faster than normal voltages.

getting to 5.5ghz on a SB needs a larger voltage increase than you need to get to 5, proportionally. ~ 1.5V
that kind of voltage definitely is not good for 24x7 usage.

that said, 4.7ghz is possible with very little voltage bump. that should be stable 24x7 for a long time.
off course, every chip is different.