Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Gaming Computer built for longevity for less than $1400

Last response: in Systems
Share
August 22, 2009 10:56:02 AM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: August 25, 2009
BUDGET RANGE: 1400 MAX subtract $360 for the RAM, OS, and DVDROM I am already buying - I'd like to spend less than 1000 :) 
SYSTEM USAGE: Gaming
PARTS REQUIRED: Processor, Motherboard, Hard Drive, Power Supply, Case
PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: eCollegePC.com
PARTS PREFERENCES: NONE
OVERCLOCKING: No
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe, if required in future
MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1200

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I need a gaming computer that will stand the test of time. I don't want to replace any of my required parts ever. I realize hard drive technology is going up, so I will be OKAY with updating it in the future. My last computer lasted 5.5 years and was still going strong had I not suffocated the power supply. So this is what I'm looking for...I don't mind upgrading, but I don't want to replace these specific parts.

My current plans are (links below):

PROCESSOR: 2.66 Ghz i7-920 8MB Cache FSB 1333 Quad-Core
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS P6T (I don't know if I need the deluxe for upgrade-ability or future gaming needs)
HARD DRIVE: 300GB Western Digital VelociRaptor 10,000 RPM 16MB Cache SATA2
Power Supply: 750watt Antec EarthWatts EA750 (might I need more power for the future graphic cards??)
CASE: Raidmax Extreme Black Smilodon (5 5.25, 5 3.5 bays) 4 Fans, Window, Front Audio/USB/1394 (will this be satisfactory for my future cooling and upgrade needs?)
Operating System: Windows 7
RAM: CORSAIR XMS3 12GB (6 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) - excessive but not debateable

Links to my debateable items:

MOTHERBOARD: ASUS P6T
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
vs the deluxe:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

POWER SUPPLY: 750watt Antec EarthWatts EA750
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CASE: Raidmax Extreme Black Smilodon (5 5.25, 5 3.5 bays) 4 Fans, Window, Front Audio/USB/1394
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I listed the other items because I am new at this and not sure how it all falls together. I'd really like to be paying less but I don't want to sacrifice the future. If ANY parts can be downgraded without much fear, I'm all ears. I don't care too much about raw power, but I do need enough for my future gaming (at least 3 years - preferrably 5 years). Thanks for any insight you can give for my build!
August 22, 2009 11:59:56 AM

both P6T will make good upgrade options because they both have the second slot (PCIE) so overall for you go with the cheaper option

for powersupply i would go with the ANTEC because of its brand name and because of it being an Earth watt model
August 22, 2009 6:01:31 PM

excellent thank you!

I heard mentioned that the deluxe was nice because of the space between slots - allowing for bigger graphic cards. I don't know if the spacing is better in the deluxe or if it is the same in both models. I also didn't know if the port differences would affect my ability to expand...the regular has more SATA, less USB, more PS/2, different audio and LAN as far as I can tell that is it, but it is all mumbojumobo in my head =P

And that's why I picked ANTEC...I've heard gamers going for 1000 and 1200 Watt power supplies which really worries me...if they are going for that now, am I going to NEED it in the future? I'm guessing they are going for bigger power for dual graphic cards and maybe overclocking so I'm not sure if I'll need that kind of power...I know I'll go for 2 graphic cards down the road if it becomes standard/required. And I want enough power to feed my double Hard Drives, sound card, fans, and whatever else I put in. I am 99.9% sure I will NOT be overclocking though. So, you think 750watt will be enough to carry me through upgrades over 5 years?
Related resources
August 22, 2009 6:03:20 PM

drop the VRaptor for a Samsung spinpoint F3, it'll be just as fast, if not faster, cost less and store more.

750w will be enough.
August 24, 2009 8:42:32 PM

excellent thanks guys. i will go with 750watt then and I'll go with a nice big HD to start....and add in the ssd HD when they get bigger and cheaper for my games.
August 24, 2009 10:53:29 PM

great setup but i'll change some things:
as someone previously suggested get another PSU however i'll say go with a corsair TX one (TX750).
i don't know about the case but it's personal preference with average similar performance and quality in all.
also you didn't mention your GFX card selection(or maybe i just missed it), i would suggest the HIS ATI HD4770 or eVGA GTX260 Core 216 (also they are from different price ranges that gives you more options).
such a setup will last a good damn amount of time.
also about the Deluxe P6T the statement is not particularly true, the deluxe have some advantages and features however for the slots as mentioned the P6T support full dual slot Tri-SLI(without any other expansions!) in a big enough ATX case.
for the HDD i don't have good experience in that but try asking someone advanced
Hellworld_98 helped me in that but i still haven't purchased.
August 25, 2009 2:46:57 AM

Oh, thanks. I do consider the motherboard/processor the most vital parts of this - as in I don't want to touch them once they are in place. I'll certainly go with the deluxe P6T if it helps my future needs. I didn't mention the graphic card because I am going cheap with this set up i think. Unless I can shave off a lot of cost, I'm just going with a super basic card...and I'll upgrade to much better ones when there is a new game that releases that I need the power for. Right now I mostly just play WoW...so I don't need much power at the moment. I'm guessing when a new game releases I will be able to get even better cards for less! But at least I will be ready with my new computer!

I've seen people mentioning graphic cards and saying they don't have enough power on 700watts! I know they are probably pushing more power on other things, but I am thinking 5 years ahead! Surely I will need more power! I'm thinking 850watt for sure now...maybe 1000watt.
August 27, 2009 4:35:48 PM

Innath said:
Oh, thanks. I do consider the motherboard/processor the most vital parts of this - as in I don't want to touch them once they are in place. I'll certainly go with the deluxe P6T if it helps my future needs. I didn't mention the graphic card because I am going cheap with this set up i think. Unless I can shave off a lot of cost, I'm just going with a super basic card...and I'll upgrade to much better ones when there is a new game that releases that I need the power for. Right now I mostly just play WoW...so I don't need much power at the moment. I'm guessing when a new game releases I will be able to get even better cards for less! But at least I will be ready with my new computer!

I've seen people mentioning graphic cards and saying they don't have enough power on 700watts! I know they are probably pushing more power on other things, but I am thinking 5 years ahead! Surely I will need more power! I'm thinking 850watt for sure now...maybe 1000watt.


For The PSU Consider those: 1. Corsair HX850
| | 2. Corsair HX1000
I prefer the HX series in the 850W model as it's 80+ SILVER which guarantees you a range btw 85% and 92% of efficiency (beside it's Modular).

For the GFX card i already suggested the HIS HD4770 however if you prefer to stick to lower budget i suggest THIS BUT.. if you looked at some Benches you'll find that the HD4770 is probably your best bet (For now ;)  ).

And some people managed to get some clocks of it(40nm)that made it beat the 4850 and 2 of them: 1.Beat HD4890 and GTX275~285 2. Easy on Mobos 3. Crossfire support now is available on most boards and drivers improved significantly ;)  , so the HD4770 gives you a good chance in upgrading and then you can even max CRYSIS with of them on 1920x1600 :D  .


Best Regards.
August 27, 2009 9:12:46 PM

excellent thanks. I looked those items up and I am going with the HX850 Corsair since it is capable of more than 850w and seems more reliable anyway...cheaper too! The HIS HD4770 looks perfect. That is about the maximum prices I am willing to spend on a graphics card but the reviews look great, so that's my card. Thanks a bunch!
August 27, 2009 9:22:58 PM

what size is your sceen?
August 27, 2009 10:13:31 PM

I'd say the smilodon case is meh overall, I own it, and I have to say I'm a bit disappointed. The usb ports are in a bad place, and I'm not really a big fan of the door. The ventilation on the case is also only okay because of the lack of a 120 mm fan expelling air in the back.

I would say look elsewhere for a case, try the CM haff 922 or CM storm scout for better air flow.

I think even with two graphics cards, a corsair 750 tx will last you long enough until your next build. PSU efficiencies and ratings decline over time anyway, so I don't really see a point in buying a 1000 watt psu with the intention of keeping it 10 years.
August 27, 2009 10:23:11 PM

The 4850 is a bit stonger card and typically less expensive than the 4770.
August 27, 2009 11:47:21 PM

Innath said:
excellent thanks. I looked those items up and I am going with the HX850 Corsair since it is capable of more than 850w and seems more reliable anyway...cheaper too! The HIS HD4770 looks perfect. That is about the maximum prices I am willing to spend on a graphics card but the reviews look great, so that's my card. Thanks a bunch!


Happy to help ;)  .

Quote:
AMDThunder wrote:
--------------------------
The 4850 is a bit stonger card and typically less expensive than the 4770.


This isn't true, see this: HIS HD4870 - Plain card Retail.
And then compare with this: HIS HD4770. (though it's deactivated for now it was $119.99 when it was available).
And for the reviews Check this: [EXP] 1st review of HD4770 vs. 9800gt vs HD4830 vs HD4850.
And this: First Look at Radeon HD 4770 CrossFire Benchmarks comparison.

So it's obvious that the HD4770 is the better option so far (else than the HIS one) And is a superior overclocker, so 1.RivaTune it 2.Add another one in 6 month time and you're good to go for another year+ or so.

Best Regards.
August 28, 2009 1:56:08 PM

psycho sykes said:
Happy to help ;)  .

Quote:
AMDThunder wrote:
--------------------------
The 4850 is a bit stonger card and typically less expensive than the 4770.


This isn't true, see this: HIS HD4870 - Plain card Retail.
And then compare with this: HIS HD4770. (though it's deactivated for now it was $119.99 when it was available).
And for the reviews Check this: [EXP] 1st review of HD4770 vs. 9800gt vs HD4830 vs HD4850.
And this: First Look at Radeon HD 4770 CrossFire Benchmarks comparison.

So it's obvious that the HD4770 is the better option so far (else than the HIS one) And is a superior overclocker, so 1.RivaTune it 2.Add another one in 6 month time and you're good to go for another year+ or so.

Best Regards.


Dude, put the bong down. Your first link is to the 4870. In the review in the 3rd link, the 4850 beat the 4770 in every setting. The 2nd link is to a deactivated card that even then was more expensive than you can get a 4850 for. And the last link is comparing the 4770 the the GTX 275. Last but not least, the 4770 doesn't even make Tom's recommended list because of the price point of the 4850.

I'm not saying the 4770 is a bad card, I have 2 of them. But the 4850 is slightly better for the same price or less.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
August 28, 2009 2:37:44 PM

AMDThunder said:
Dude, put the bong down. Your first link is to the 4870. In the review in the 3rd link, the 4850 beat the 4770 in every setting. The 2nd link is to a deactivated card that even then was more expensive than you can get a 4850 for. And the last link is comparing the 4770 the the GTX 275. Last but not least, the 4770 doesn't even make Tom's recommended list because of the price point of the 4850.

I'm not saying the 4770 is a bad card, I have 2 of them. But the 4850 is slightly better for the same price or less.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Hahaha :na:  I like that first sentence, seriously made me laugh. But in all seriousness the 4850 would be a better choice for the availability and the price. Besides it performs on par if not better then the 4770. CF another later on and you have a very, very capable GPU setup.
August 28, 2009 9:00:28 PM

AMDThunder said:
Dude, put the bong down. Your first link is to the 4870. In the review in the 3rd link, the 4850 beat the 4770 in every setting. The 2nd link is to a deactivated card that even then was more expensive than you can get a 4850 for. And the last link is comparing the 4770 the the GTX 275. Last but not least, the 4770 doesn't even make Tom's recommended list because of the price point of the 4850.

I'm not saying the 4770 is a bad card, I have 2 of them. But the 4850 is slightly better for the same price or less.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Extremely sorry for this it's because i was on rush as it was late in my region HOWEVER here's the correct version of the post.

Again very very sorry.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This isn't true, see this: NewEgg Search results for XFX HD4850
And then compare with this: XFX HD4770 at NewEgg
And for the reviews Check this: Tom's Hardware - Hd4770 vs HD4850 Benchmarks
And this: Radeon HD4770 Benchs and OC'ing results


So it's obvious that the HD4770 is the better option so far (else than the HIS one) And is a superior overclocker, so 1.RivaTune it 2.Add another one in 6 month time and you're good to go for another year+ or so.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please read ALL reviews i posted BEFORE taking a decision OR comment (mean no offense ;)  !).

Regards.

August 28, 2009 9:17:16 PM

Thanks for linking one whole brand for the cards. There are way more than XFX. We're not talking about OCing. Look at the benchies u linked. The 4770 won on a very slim margin a handful of times. The 4850 IS the better card whether you choose to believe so or not.
August 28, 2009 9:46:31 PM

yup 4850 > 4770
!