Sign in with
Your question

I3 and i5 processor of intel

Last response: in Overclocking
October 25, 2011 5:35:54 AM

Hello,
i m in a li'l bit cnfusion...i want to knw which processor is better - i3 or i5- w.r.t running multiple os...becoz the only differnce between them is turbo boost feature nd a lil bit differnce in their clocking speed i.e. 2.1 for i3 and 2.3 for i5...but turbo boost feature of i5 is suitable for small apps as for high apps turbo boost will wrk until ovrheatng cndtn nd i hve to use two os simultaneously fr whch i thnk it doesnt go for long....so guyzzz plz tell me wht shuld i do...nd reply as early as possbl....

More about : processor intel

October 25, 2011 8:09:15 AM

asimabbas said:
Hello,
i m in a li'l bit cnfusion...i want to knw which processor is better - i3 or i5- w.r.t running multiple os...becoz the only differnce between them is turbo boost feature nd a lil bit differnce in their clocking speed i.e. 2.1 for i3 and 2.3 for i5...but turbo boost feature of i5 is suitable for small apps as for high apps turbo boost will wrk until ovrheatng cndtn nd i hve to use two os simultaneously fr whch i thnk it doesnt go for long....so guyzzz plz tell me wht shuld i do...nd reply as early as possbl....
pls do reply.... i need to buy laptop urgently and confused between i3 and i5...pls suggest me ....

m
l
a b K Overclocking
October 25, 2011 8:55:10 AM

buy a laptop with i5 2500s processor, or if you can spend more try to have i7 2600s
m
l
Related resources
a b å Intel
a b K Overclocking
October 25, 2011 9:05:22 AM

i5 2500s and i7 2600s are desktop cpus.
for laptops there's not much difference between i3 and i5 - both are dual core, both have hd3000 igp, both have 3mb cache etc.
the main differences between i3 and i5 are turbo boost - i5 can increase its speed to a higher level if a task demands it, core i3 can't. i5 also has aes-ni encryption acceleration, higher base speed than core i3 which means i5 will use more power on load. but it will get jobs done faster than i3. core i5 usually cost more.
if speed is your concern then get a laptop with core i5.
but compare all the laptop specs first and see which one meets your need the best.
m
l
October 26, 2011 1:42:38 PM

truegenius said:
buy a laptop with i5 2500s processor, or if you can spend more try to have i7 2600s

hey genius..nice dp...but bro i m talkin about processrs fr laptop nt fr desktop cpu's... :D 
:D  :D 
m
l
October 26, 2011 1:45:19 PM

thnks fr ur suggestion roy....i'll look fr it.....btw do u hve any idea which laptop can handle multiple os efficiently???
m
l
a b å Intel
a b K Overclocking
October 26, 2011 1:59:52 PM

what do you mean by multiple os?
if you have enough capacity in your laptop hdd, you can make partitions for two or more different os and install them in those partitions.
you might run into some issues if you install different versions of windows in the same hdd. search the windows forums on guidelines how to install multiple os.
check the system requirements of the os'es you want to install. for example: windows 7 64-bit takes at least 20 gb to install, 2 gb ram and at least 1 ghz cpu.
m
l
October 26, 2011 2:06:55 PM

unless you will run heavy workloads frequently , i3 , without turbo will be good enough and heat less , more battery and also cost effective . for example i3 2330m , a current offering from many laptop vendors is for the most cases better than i5 2430 m (for example dell,hp in india)
m
l
October 26, 2011 3:18:12 PM

i5 has 8mb cache memory(in sandy bridge it is 6mb),more frequency,better overclocking,turbo boost,i5 has 4cores/4threads

while

i3 has only 4 mb cache,lower frequeny,no turbo boost and lower oc'ing.i3 has 2cores/4thread.

m
l
October 27, 2011 8:41:09 AM

de5_Roy said:
what do you mean by multiple os?
if you have enough capacity in your laptop hdd, you can make partitions for two or more different os and install them in those partitions.
you might run into some issues if you install different versions of windows in the same hdd. search the windows forums on guidelines how to install multiple os.
check the system requirements of the os'es you want to install. for example: windows 7 64-bit takes at least 20 gb to install, 2 gb ram and at least 1 ghz cpu.

ya u are right...hdd does is major concern but beside that i was sayin tht i want to run 2 os simultaneously at the same time....one is win 7 and other is linux... VMware workstation is used to run two or more os at the same time.....nd so it will require a lot of cooling mechanism as more heat woul be generated.....thts why i m asking about i3 nd i5 processors coz turbo boost wont go for long(in my case) and about a laptop which is efficient in handling heavy workload...
m
l
October 27, 2011 8:44:57 AM

pro-gamer said:
i5 has 8mb cache memory(in sandy bridge it is 6mb),more frequency,better overclocking,turbo boost,i5 has 4cores/4threads

while

i3 has only 4 mb cache,lower frequeny,no turbo boost and lower oc'ing.i3 has 2cores/4thread.

srry..i shuld hve mntion it earlier...i am talkin about laptop's processors nt fr desktop's cpu's...:)  :) 
m
l
October 27, 2011 8:48:38 AM

cyberkuberiah said:
unless you will run heavy workloads frequently , i3 , without turbo will be good enough and heat less , more battery and also cost effective . for example i3 2330m , a current offering from many laptop vendors is for the most cases better than i5 2430 m (for example dell,hp in india)

hmmm....thnks for ur suggestion... :)  :) 
m
l
a b å Intel
a b K Overclocking
October 27, 2011 10:15:57 AM

so you want a windows and linux installation running simultaneously. that's possible but you'd benefit more from a quad core cpu with at least 4 gb ram because you'd need to allocate cpu core, system ram, vram etc for the guest os.
you can install ubuntu using wubi but ubuntu will not run as a virtual os. it will show up as a boot choice in the boot menu and it will run slow as the whole ubuntu os runs as a big image file, different from a seperate os installation in a different hdd partition. at least it won't require you to create a seperate partition from ubuntu.you can disable/uninstall features you don't need from ubuntu to make it run lighter(don't disable/uninstall security stuff).
all core i3 and i5 support vt-x, core i5 2410m and i5-2415m cannot use vt-d in case vt-d is important to you.
running vm would be cpu-intensive and it will use up more battery.
you can use a laptop cooler with your laptop for extra cooling. although i don't know how much cooling it will be able to deliver. make sure your laptop has good cooling in itself.
imo a core i7 2xxxqm cpu with 4 gb ram would be able to run vm and other heavy workloads better than a core i5. core i7 cost a lot more than core i5.

m
l
October 28, 2011 5:20:30 AM

ya thats why i looking for laptops with better cooling mechanism nd atleast 4 gb ram......Lenovo laptop's are qiuet good in tht case....na ya laptop cooler idea sounds interesting... 'll see to it... i luv to use a core i7 2xxxqm cpu..but wont have that much budget...hehe.....so will stick to eithr i3 or i5....
m
l
October 28, 2011 8:57:54 AM

go with i5.
m
l
a b å Intel
a b K Overclocking
October 28, 2011 10:29:40 AM

alternatively, you can check out a llano laptop with a 4-core amd a8 3xxx . llano cpus have 4 real cores(unlike intel core i5's logical/hyperthreaded cores) and igp more powerful than intel's hd3000.
llano cpus don't have vt-x or vt-d instructions. they have amd's version of virtualization support - amd-v. they can turbo up to 2.4-2.5 ghz using amd's turbo core, equivalent to intel's turbo boost.
llano laptops should be cheaper than core i5 laptops although laptop's price depends on overall specs. read tom's llano mobile cpu review for more info on that.
m
l
!