Why does my computer register a USB storage device but it doesnt show up on the

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Computer
  • USB
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
June 12, 2011 6:24:18 PM

I have a dell computer with two internal hard drives, drive C: and D: with a back up drive E. I also have a USB eternal 250 seagate hard drive that WAS working yesturday. I moved it to another computer and it stopped working. Now when I plug it in it shows a USB storage device on the safely remove hardware part but it doesn't show the drive on the my computer or the device manager. Any suggestions as to what happened or should i recycle it as a paper weight?

More about : computer register usb storage device doesnt show

a c 386 G Storage
June 14, 2011 3:33:06 PM

Try this...

To show all devices, open up a (run as administrator) command prompt and run the following:

set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1
start devmgmt.msc

Then you can use "Show Hidden Devices" in the Device Manager window and see what pops up. The main groups to target are going to be "Disk Drives", "Storage Volumes", and "USB Controllers"

Delete your usb devices. If you don't know what it is, don't touch it. When finished, reboot. You will know it worked, because when you plug in your drive or any previously mounted usb thumb drive, it will say "new hardware found", like it wa the first time you ever used that device.
m
l
June 15, 2011 1:44:45 AM

I did that and it re installs the hardware but it doesn't show the drive up on my computer. I even had a friend trouble shoot it over team viewer and he couldn't figure out what was wrong with it either.
m
l
a c 386 G Storage
June 15, 2011 12:20:14 PM

What does the drive look like in disk management or doesn't it show up there either?
m
l
Related resources
!