I7 975 vs Xeon W5590

shinooni

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
Hey guys,
I am looking at building a high spec graphics development and gaming system (Crysis warhead and graphic dev = 3ds max 2009 and Bryce) and I was wondering which beats what (I have $10000 to burn on this computer) with Quad 5870 Crossfire X. And if anyone knows of a dual socket motherboard with Quad Crossfire X enabled please inform me because i am interested.

Zerk

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
WOW that's a Monster!

And only $19.95 lol! or $450

Wait?

Would that sucker really work like a normal PC with Win 7 ect? playing Games ect?

tortnotes

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2009
Large numbers of Radeon cards aren't going to help your 3D work as much as a workstation GPU. More than 2 5870s on a server motherboard aren't going to help Crysis.
Don't waste your money... Or, if you're intent on wasting your money, buy a workstation AND a gaming machine. Not one for both.

Oh, and if you have a separate render farm, two CPUs is unnecessary... one top of the line i7 or Xeon will handle just about anything you could possibly throw at it. Only reason for 2 would be to improve render speeds.

shinooni

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
I already have a car thats worth 30000 anyway... but that eeatx mobo, that will do crossfire? cause my understanding of crossfire was that it had to have a crossfire chip on the board to allow for it. Also... with direct compute and (ahhh i forgot the other tech) that works with Radeon 5 series, I can create some sort of hack/plugin/workaround the be able to use the radeons in 3ds max. So I go back which would be better dual xeon or i7 and would the eeatx mobo do crossfire?