Will a solid state drive work on my motherboard?

glockshna

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
I have an Intel Desktop Board D975XBX2 Extreme Series mobo. According to most SSDs I've seen thusfar, I need SATA II on my motherboard. I'm not sure if I have it and my manual isn't specific on the subject. I don't want to drop $130 bucks on a brand spanking new SSD and not be able to use it if ya know what I mean. Here's the drive I'm looking at. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820322012

I'm kinda new with this stuff. I've only built 2 systems, and I had help from people who knew what they where doing haha. Any help would be appreciated. :)

Solution
Please note SSD's differ alot, and alot of 'mediocre' SSDs are available right now. If you can afford it, i would highly recommend using an Intel SSD instead; Intel X25-M G2 80GB would be great, or the cheaper X25-V 40GB would be a cheaper alternative. Try to avoid SSDs with bad controllers (Samsung,JMicron).

sub mesa

Distinguished
Please note SSD's differ alot, and alot of 'mediocre' SSDs are available right now. If you can afford it, i would highly recommend using an Intel SSD instead; Intel X25-M G2 80GB would be great, or the cheaper X25-V 40GB would be a cheaper alternative. Try to avoid SSDs with bad controllers (Samsung,JMicron).

Solution