Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Jumper settings and partitions on slave drive

Last response: in Storage
June 12, 2011 8:20:41 PM

Hi all, I recently installed a WD 1tb HDD as a slave to a Corsair 115GB SSD boot drive. I clean installed Win7 to the SSD. I then connected the HDD to the mobo and formatted it by right click in my computer. I never changed the jumpers from master (my previous win7 installation) to slave. I appears to be fine. I've installed Real Temp to a folder on the HDD, installed it and its on the desktop. Do I need to be concerned?

I want to eventually create I think 2 partitions on the drive. One for installed programs and a second for music, pics and docs. storage. Does this make sense or should I make one partition with 2 seperate volumes? I imagine its pretty standard

Best solution

a b G Storage
June 12, 2011 8:44:19 PM

Your SSD is a SATA and I am guessing that the old drive is a IDE drive. SATA drives do not need be set master/slave. So when installing the old IDE drive it should be set as Master as it it the only IDE drive.

Your installed programs should be on your SSD so I would have just one partition on the new drive.
June 12, 2011 9:27:46 PM

anonymous1 said:
Your SSD is a SATA and I am guessing that the old drive is a IDE drive. SATA drives do not need be set master/slave. So when installing the old IDE drive it should be set as Master as it it the only IDE drive.

Your installed programs should be on your SSD so I would have just one partition on the new drive.

His new drive is a Sata also, you won't find any IDE's @ 1TB.
Related resources
June 12, 2011 10:25:04 PM

anonymous1 said:

Thanks for your time. I've never done this before its my 1st build. I'm glad to hear if its a SATA which it is I don't need to worry about jumpers. I guess I forgot that. I'm still a little confused about whether to create 1 or 2 partitions on the HDD. Wouldn't it be better to have 2 so files of similar type are stored and accessed seperatly. If you can point me to some documentation on the subject I would appreciate it. Everything I find is 5 years old.
a b G Storage
June 13, 2011 12:52:23 PM

Whether you choose to partition or not is up to you. A lot of people like to partition to keep things separate. In my opinion, in the end it's still all the same drive so why bother...just use folders, but some find it easier/like to use partitions. Personnel preference mostly.
June 23, 2011 3:14:06 AM

Best answer selected by gerry410.
!