Sign in with
Your question

PII 550 a bottle neck for 4870X2?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
November 15, 2009 3:33:43 AM

so long story short some a**hole cut me off on the freeway and wreck my bike. insurrance doest not cover it(so much so full coverage) so in order to fix the damage to my ducati, i sold my core i7 940 and asus board and memory. i bought at PII 550 cpu with a decent board at frys for 89.99. i was wondering if this will hinder perforamnce of my hd 4870X2. would i see any mayor difference in games? can the 550 keep up with the 4870X2?
November 15, 2009 4:53:51 AM

Ahh,.. PII 550 BE,.. AMD's bonafide dual core overclocking star!

This processor will not in anyway hinder your gaming experience since most
games can only utilize 2 cores and the limiting factor i see on your set up is Ram
which you didn't mention. The amount and speed of Ram in this kind of set up is
important. Most budget enthusiast do, in order to maximize the full potential of this
processor and video card and, since this is an AM3 socket, adding 3 (minimum)
to 4 gig of ram (dual channel DDR3 @ 1333 mhz or higher) and a fast hard drive
like the 640GB Western Digital Caviar Black makes the whole system perform
faster and reduces all potential bottlenecks, the importance of a fast hard drive will
reduce the file swapping from the ram-to-hard drive while playing games or using
multi-threaded applications second by second. This also helps your procie to
process treads more efficiently.
As for your 4870 X2, its one hell of a fast video card though it generates heat way
more than the usual single gpu video card and consumes more power, making
sure its well ventilated by adding some nice cooling fans for the intake and exhaust
of your case makes it run more cooler and more efficient.

Hope this helps :) 

-- Oh by the way, what did the A-hole do? Hit you and run?.. Tsk tsk dang! That kind
of situation makes blood boil specially if the guy who hits you gets off really fast
so you dont have anyway of catching them.
m
l
November 15, 2009 4:57:40 AM

If you overclock it, I can't see a bottleneck outside of FSX or GTAIV.

Edit: I don't suppose that 'decent' board has a SB710 or SB750? I unlocked my 550 to a quadcore!
m
l
Related resources
November 15, 2009 10:26:47 AM

smithereen said:
If you overclock it, I can't see a bottleneck outside of FSX or GTAIV.

Edit: I don't suppose that 'decent' board has a SB710 or SB750? I unlocked my 550 to a quadcore!

actually it does have the 710 south bridge, but my PII 550 is not stable with the other two cores "unlocked" unless i am doing something wrong. i will overclock onces i get my water block back from RMA(using the stock coooler). i just bought this cpu and mobo combe so i might take it back to fry's and by the same thing againg, maby ill have better luck "unlocking" the next cpu.
m
l
November 15, 2009 10:43:04 AM

Rock_n_Rolla said:
Ahh,.. PII 550 BE,.. AMD's bonafide dual core overclocking star!

This processor will not in anyway hinder your gaming experience since most
games can only utilize 2 cores and the limiting factor i see on your set up is Ram
which you didn't mention. The amount and speed of Ram in this kind of set up is
important. Most budget enthusiast do, in order to maximize the full potential of this
processor and video card and, since this is an AM3 socket, adding 3 (minimum)
to 4 gig of ram (dual channel DDR3 @ 1333 mhz or higher) and a fast hard drive
like the 640GB Western Digital Caviar Black makes the whole system perform
faster and reduces all potential bottlenecks, the importance of a fast hard drive will
reduce the file swapping from the ram-to-hard drive while playing games or using
multi-threaded applications second by second. This also helps your procie to
process treads more efficiently.
As for your 4870 X2, its one hell of a fast video card though it generates heat way
more than the usual single gpu video card and consumes more power, making
sure its well ventilated by adding some nice cooling fans for the intake and exhaust
of your case makes it run more cooler and more efficient.

Hope this helps :) 

-- Oh by the way, what did the A-hole do? Hit you and run?.. Tsk tsk dang! That kind
of situation makes blood boil specially if the guy who hits you gets off really fast
so you dont have anyway of catching them.

its good to hear that it will not have bottle neck problem! the cpu came with a MSI 785GTM-E45(not bad for 90 bucks for both) so i am limited to dd2. i am using ocz flex ex pc9600 ddr2 clocked @1200Mhz 4gigs. as for the hard drive its a western digital 1Tb with 32mb cache.

yeah that a-hole hit me and ran! by the time i stoped sliding and ran back to my bike he was gone!!(i was doing 70mph) i guess thats texas for you! its ok though, i am alive thats all that matters, i live to play another day!!!
m
l
November 15, 2009 2:25:14 PM

@ ferny12345623

Based on the Ram you have and its spec and the hard drive you're
currently using, sure is its fast enough. You dont have to worry about
any slowing down or bottle neck issues. All you just do is sit back, relax and
enjoy playing those demanding games. :) 

-- Regarding that a-hole who hit you and ran well, perhaps he doesn't
know what the word Bad Karma means. We humans are all bound by the
consequences on the things we did to others. Believe me dude who ever
that guy is, sometime in his life he'll surely pay for what he did in some
other ways that he cant escape no matter what he do and the sad part is,
bad karma always gets us in the times where we are most vulnerable.
m
l
!