Tags:
  • Heatsinks
  • Cooling
  • CPUs
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
October 25, 2011 11:24:17 AM

Hello

I'm having problems with my CPU temp. I'm in the process of upgrading my PC for upcoming BF3 and I want to OC my Q6600 to 3.0. I bought arctic cooling freezer 13 and downloaded core temp and realtemp. My temps are 49-50 with an aftermarket cooler and I haven't even started OCing. When in load for an hour temps are around 65 :S If I'm not mistaken I should keep it less than 60.

I'm positive I installed freezer 13 correctly following the instructions. The thermal paste is equally spread accross the surface of CPU. Fan is blowing in right direction. My case is cleaned...

Maybe I should add a few additional fans or something but I have no idea which ones or where.

Here are 2 pictures of my case:

-
-

My system:

Chassis: Asus Vento A8
Motherboard: Asus P5E
Graphics Card: XFX 6870
Processor: Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz (I plan to overclock it to 3.0-3.2)
Aftermarket Cooler: AC Freezer 13
Memory: 6 GB (667 MHz)
PSU: Asus model A-55GA (550W)

If anybody has any suggestions I'd be very thankful.

More about : cpu overheating aftermarket cooler

a c 139 à CPUs
a c 242 K Overclocking
October 25, 2011 12:27:48 PM

Your temp still safe, max temp your cpu when do stress test is 72C. Want more cool disabled smart fan cpu from bios.
October 25, 2011 1:42:57 PM

Thank you for reply.
I'll try changing that in bios. You sure I don't need any extra fans in my case? If I do I would need some help choosing them and putting into right place.
I mean 65C in stress test and not even OCed kinda worries me. I guess after OCing my temps will be seriously close to 72 and I'd like to be sure my PC will be stable and cooled.
I tested my temps while playing Starcraft 2 and they were around 62-63...
Mostly people who have an aftermarket cooler have way lower temps for this CPU according to other topics
Related resources
a c 139 à CPUs
a c 242 K Overclocking
October 25, 2011 2:03:25 PM

I think it's ordinary rights because of the difference spec system hardware like mobo, chip, ambient, do you equate that use the same as hardware will also vary the results, the important thing is that you get the temperature that has been very safe for daily using.
October 25, 2011 2:19:25 PM

I agree but I have no idea how to get normal temps so I can start overclocking. These temps that I'm having seem to be kinda high for my test. My PC runs most of the day and will be mostly used for gaming (BF3).
Some people suggested adding a few vents to my case to increase the air flow and to get a better thermal paste. I know how to change the paste but I'm having problems with fans. I don't know which ones to pick and where to place them on my case so that I don't get any ''dead spots'' :S Also I have no idea what improvement can I expect with additional vents
a c 139 à CPUs
a c 242 K Overclocking
October 25, 2011 2:43:14 PM

Of course , Adding fan case can help airflow but If you already possessed two 120mm exhaust with a size that is enough, add fan in side closing case, get a bigger fan will be better, fan position is push (inhaust) or just opinion for temporary, before you get fan case, let open your case when play game, and look how much drop your temp than before.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 25, 2011 3:24:15 PM

The 60C limit is for AMD CPUs. Intel CPUs tend to run significantly hotter. Ambient room temp affects the temp. as well as case flow. More fans are only better if they create better airflow and do not create excessive tubulence.

The Arctic Freezer 13 is a moderate HSF. Unless you are in the mid-70C range under P95, OCCT or Linpack I don't believe you have a problem. If you want a better HSF then there are many as the link below shows.

http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=260...

http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm#INTELHEATSI...
October 25, 2011 9:29:41 PM

Thanks for fast replies.
I have to use Freezer 13 because other coolers won't fit my case.

Since my case isn't very good I'm not able to fit 120mm fans but I did fit two 80mm fans. One at the bottom front side blowing inside and the other one on the rear side. My temps went down 7-8 C.

After that i OCed my q6600 GO to 333x9 and I set my vcore to 1.25. Prime95 ran stable for an hour. Ill keep it up all night long to see if its stable. My temps after OCing went high again. Most of the time they are around 59-61 altho during a short period they hit 65. Now I'm interested in lowering to 55 since I use my PC daily for gaming and I want my CPU to last.

What can I do to lower temps even more?
Should I buy better thermal paste?
If you look pictures I posted I have place for two 80mm fans on the front bottom side. I only used one of those places, should I put another fan as well and have two fans blowing in and 1 blowing out?
And also should I try lowering vcore even more?
Sorry for this many questions, its my first overclocking and I'm kinda uncertain how to do it properly :) 

Thank you in advance for your help guys!
!