Xp doesnt boot unless using hiren boot cd

G

Hey,

I cant even remember how this started to happen, but I guess ill have to try to fix it someday. This day has arrived :)

I just cant boot my xp unles using the Hiren's boot cd option "boot xp". I have tried the 10 "Try thios 1st... try this 2nd" autofixes with no luck. When I juist boot from the main HD,There's not even a message complaining about no NTLDR or something, it just says there's no bootable OS.

I don't even know how to start.

Thanks.

G

OK, I tried booting from the other HD and a grub prompt appears complaining about not finding anything. When I boot from my usual drive, however, this message appears "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key". If I use Hiren's option "boot from HD (XP...)" everything's fine

mrfatbox

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
you may want to check the boot order in your bios setting

and
it is a bit old school but have had problems with the master and slave jumpers on HDD giving this problem (tend to just pull them all out and let it use cable select

G

OK Im a little clumsy, Im trying my best to make this work though . Thx for your help. I don't think it's hardware related, as it used to boot perfectly before messing with partitions and ubuntu and stuff.

I already tried tyo manually edit boot.ini without success. Same message, These are my disks as XP sees the, Sorry about my windows being in spanish.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Disk 0 is the one with the OS. My systemroot (I made a little of a mess and have a windows.o folder) as showed by "echo %SYSTEMROOT%" is g:\windows.

Disk 1 has just MP3s
Disk 2 was my attempt at dualbooting ubuntu, I somehow messed it up.

These are the contents of my boot.ini file:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn /numproc=2
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINNT="Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

I manually added the "Windows 2000" entry but maybe I messed it up again.

Thx, really.

mrfatbox

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
first off do you have a windows xp install cd or just a system restor disk

want i want you to is change the Boot.ini to
[boot loader]
timeout=5
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(0)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /NoExecute=OptIn /fastdetect

save boot.ini and shutdown PC

ok what i want you to do is remove all the other possable problems by unpluging all the drives and start the pc with just DISK0 (GDrive System Main) and have it pluged in to the first sata port on you motherboard

and try booting the system

if it boots ok then we are off to a good start

G

Hey,

thanks for your help.

It still doesn't boot

II somwhow manage to press pause when Hiren's succesfully boots my system (when both drives are attached) These are the contents:

(hd1,0)
(hd0,0)
Will boot NTLDR from driver=0x80, partition 0x00(hidden sectors=0x3f)
Error occurred while savedefault.

And then it goes

Invalid boot.ini file
Booting from C:\windows (which is kinda strange, as my disk is normally g:\)

No, Im just trying to boot my system without help from hiren's boot cd from one of the disks and then add windows 7 and ubuntu to triple boot it

mrfatbox

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
what ever you did you did it well lol

think you shopuld start a clean build of the system triple boot can be unstable at the best of times and you have got some big problems in the boot files for windows and ubuntu witch will course you problems in the long run.

what i would do is unplug you curent system drive and start a clean install XP on a 100GB partition then windows7 on a 500GB partiton and then install ubuntu as an install under windows 7 that way you should matain you boot config better

then reconect you old system drive and get the files off you need and format it of as a document drive or somthing like that