How can I set my currently used file to keep a record of
my most currently used files? When I click on start, no
history appears.

Go here and download TweakUI for WinXP. When you have it installed
select Explorer and in the right
pane you will see an entry Allow Recent Documents on Start Menu
make sure that's checked.