Help lowering voltages with a 4.5 GHz oc

joshybo7

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011
alright i have been attempting to tweak settings in my bios to lower my voltages for some time now and haven't found that a setting i am entirely satisfied with, so i am wondering if anybody in the community could help

i have an i7-2600k on an asus p8p67 pro rev 3.1 mainboard, i am overclocking to 4.5 GHz using BCLCK of 100 with a multiplier of x45. as best i can remember (i am at work, not at home to verify these settings) i am currently running my vcore voltages in offset mode at .060, the system is unstable at anything lower despite tweaking other settings, and the vcore peaks at 1.38v at particular times while gaming which i am just not satisfied with. mind you, it stays at 1.34v regularly, those voltage spikes are just higher than i am comfortable with. during prime95 blender and large ffts the highest it gets is 1.35v so the highest spike appears to occur while gaming, specifically with metro 2033, which i understand is greatly cpu intensive. I am still fairly new to overclocking, so i may be missing something in all of this, and am just wondering if anybody could suggest a way to stably lower the voltages on that board with my processor or am i stuck if i want to maintain the 4.5 GHz overclock on my rig currently

quickmana

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
I have your same mobo, check that setting. I have it enabled, and it did make me nervous that it was volting too much. Still not up to Intel's max, somewhere around 1.5v. It never spikes above 1.5v, right?

joshybo7

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011
oh no, i have ran prime for like 10 hours and it never exceeds 1.35v it just seems to hit that 1.38v ceiling while gaming, i am guessing it is just a momentary spike when loading or something, and my temps get no higher than 66C on normal fan speed and if i kick all my fans into their high range i can keep it at 58C-59C at the expense of feeling like i am sitting near the wing of a commercial airliner, Lol.