Sign in with
Your question
Solved

SSD Optimization needed on new build? Are you sure?

Last response: in Storage
June 13, 2011 4:51:28 AM

If I buy a new SSD, and I am building my own new computer, do I really have to tweak anything to windows boot up noticeably faster than a regular HD? Obviously I would want to have as few programs start up on startup, but is there really anything else I need to do?

Thanks for your time!
a b G Storage
June 13, 2011 5:19:01 AM

You don't need to do anything. Load win7 on the new ssd with no hdds connected. Best to use the intel rst driver if you have an intel cpu.

Now you can enjoy the ssd the same as any other drive. It will access information about 100 times faster than an hdd regardless of any 'tweaks'. In fact Tom did a great article recently about the effect those tweaks have (or don't have). Check tom's home page and you will see it.
m
l

Best solution

a c 315 G Storage
June 13, 2011 3:53:04 PM

At a minimum, the controllers should be set to AHCI mode (in the BIOS) so that the TRIM command can be passed through to the SSD. The rest is a matter of opinion; many people follow Tecmo34's suggestions that were in a recent article: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-performance-twe... .
Even without any of these things the SSD will show an improvement, but some of these settings will give you less degradation over time.
Related resources
a b G Storage
June 13, 2011 6:55:07 PM

^ right... AHCI (or RAID if you are using it) and NOT ide
m
l
June 20, 2011 12:51:48 AM

Best answer selected by notapcguru.
m
l
!