Will my system specs be able to run Crysis - Look

rumptump

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
Is my pc good enough to play crysis, want to know before i buy the game, thanks

I have an Asus - Essentio Desktop with Intel® Core™ i7 Processor

Intel® Core™ i7-920 processor
Features 4 processing cores, 8MB L2 cache and 2.66GHz processor speed per core.

ProcessorIntel® Core™ i7Processor Speed2.66GHzCache Memory8MB on die Level 2

The latest Intel® Core™ microarchitecture
Delivers high performance and energy efficiency.

9GB DDR3 memory
For multitasking power, expandable to 24GB.

1TB Serial ATA hard drive (7200 rpm)
Provides plenty of storage space and fast read/write times.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX260 graphics
Features up to 896MB shared video memory for lush images. Supports 7.1-channel high-definition audio. 2 DVI ports and 1 HDTV connection for connecting HD components.

for the rest of the specs this is the link to the pc i have
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9366642&type=product&id=1218092150864

You can BUILD a much better system.
On the one you have picked the CPU is much more powerful than the Graphics. You can build one that should be at least 2x as fast for gaming for the same price.

I would personally build it around this:
- i5-750 CPU
- supported motherboard
- 4GB DDR3 1333MHz (2x2GB)
- Windows 7 64bit OEM
- WD 640GB (Windows drive) and WD 1TB green (storage and backup)
- PSU: possibly a PC Power and Cooling 750W (depends also on graphics cards)
- Graphics card? (look at the recent article here at Tomshardware on Graphics, but I'd DEFINITELY wait for the new ATI cards being released. In a month? They even say this in the article. You have to wait for Win 7 anyway. Power/Noise are also issues and the new ones should be 40nm.)

Notes:
- It's nice to install your own OS to avoid the extra junk they add.
- make an IMAGE of your Windows drive using Acronis True Image. I have three (barebones, all applications and drivers and a third with several games as well. I can restore to either one. Occasionally make a new one). They all sit on my second hard drive.
- 4GB is optimal for RAM. Gamers don't need more. It's also a waste of power which adds to the heat and noise. Don't get sucked into the RAM. This issue has been EXTENSIVELY tested and only professionals with specific requirements need more. CRYSIS, for example has one of the highest requirements which I think is about 1.8GB. After the game is turn off the computer reclaims the RAM for other application buffering.

Summary:
Building your own system is fun and you can get a higher performing computer with higher quality parts for the same price. I prefer OEM Windows to systems with pre-installed Windows with other junk.

If you want to spend a little more money on a CPU, consider the Intel Core i7-860 but if you check out the reviews it's hard to justify for current games (you may have other application needs such as encoding video if the program can utilize all 8 threads). Make sure you spend a little time looking at Comments and Reviews for each part.

PCI-Express will replace PCI. You may want at least one PCI slot on your motherboard though. Think carefully if your board doesn't support both SLI and Crossfire. I would get a board with at least two full x8/x16 PCIe slots. You may only want to use one for now but you may wish to add another card or even a Larrabee board down the road. If ATI has a really good, high-end 40nm card soon I personally would get a SINGLE card. (unless it has two GPU's on a single board making it a one-board Crossfire setup. In that case, I prefer two boards to spread out the heat dissipation and have two fans but at a lower RPM.)

Other:
Spend some money on good sound if you can. I ended up with an Auzentech X-Fi Forte and M-Audio AV-40 2.0 speakers and love them. My sound card can put out surround sound to STEREO headphones. I've heard good things about Logitech Z-2300 2.1 speakers. If you have a pretty good onboard sound chip I'd spend the money on the speakers first if it's a choice.

For a DVD-burner, read reviews. They are pretty cheap so get one with good reviews even if it's $10 more than most. Look for one with a firmware update no more than a year ago (firmware improves DVD/CD burning compatibility). I always burn with Nero using Verification on.

Don't buy from "best buy" they charge like haliburton back when they were defrauding the US government in Iraq. Order from Newegg or Tigerdirect since they wont rig you off any ware near as much as "best buy" trust me I learned the hard way and for some it was worse. If you can't build it your self try to order from an oem like dell, hp, gateway directly and try to negotiate for a lower price. Last option pay some one to build it for you who knows what they are doing like maxishine or some one like that.

Fans:
Here's an example of a good fan setup.

Example 1 (PSU at bottom of case)
- 2x 120mm case fans at top of case (both constant, low RPM, low dB)
- PSU has fan control
- Graphics card sends air out the REAR of the case
- CPU has a large heatsink and 120mm fan

Example 2 (PSU at top of case)
- PSU has fan control (air flow is EXTERNAL-> EXTERNAL and NOT from inside case)
- 1x120mm at front of case
- 1x120mm at rear of case
- graphics card (rear exhaust)
- CPU (large heatsink/120mm fan with motherboard fan control)

These are examples. You can produce a fairly low noise computer if you buy and place the components correctly. It's easy to make much more noise with little benefit. Here's the key issues:
1) waste heat should be moved with Constant RPM, quiet fans
2) in extreme conditions one of the rear case fans should be variable
3) heat dissipation is more critical the closer to the chip we get. For example, a large CPU heatsink is far, far more important than a rear case fan. I cranked my rear case fan from it's lowest setting to very annoying and could not get more than a 1degree difference for my CPU whereas a good heatsink can make a 15 degree difference passively.

Some online links:
www.ncix.com
www.newegg.com (.ca for Canada)

There are several others. I've found NCIX to be pretty nice but other places may have sales on the components you want. Factor in shipping costs and look around for sales. I bought my Auzentech Forte for much less than new at an NCIX sale.

The motherboard is arguably the most important part of your computer. This is also why I don't like prebuilt systems. I want to choose. MSI, Asus and Gigabyte are generally pretty good. Again, and this is critical, always read reviews and comments on a part you intend to buy. (I should also add that I'd get eSATA on a new motherboard).

rumptump

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
Thanks photonboy, those are some incredible ideas, should have posted here for suggestions on what comp to buy before i bought it, overall though its a good comp and treats me good, so you guys think it will work fine with the game?

Is it considered as a great compiter overall? being used for high quality games and other certain programs that require a lot of RAM and cpu speed?