Your question

Silver Arrow feasible?

Tags:
  • Heatsinks
  • Silver
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
October 25, 2011 10:41:30 PM

Originally I had intended to buy a Hyper 212+, however I decided I didn't want to skimp on cooling and eventually settled on the MUX-120 and a replacement fan. Unfortunately, this is only available from overseas here in the UK and I realised the only place I could safely order it worked out at over £60 once shipping was factored, despite it only being in a neighbouring country.

I've heard only good things about Thermalright's Silver Arrow and it is cheaper than buying an MUX-120 in my circumstances even before factoring in the cost of a 120mm fan.
However, my issue is one of space. I'm not sure if it would fit in the tower I want, and it seems to be relatively heavy for a heatsink- it does worry me whether something like that hanging off the side would eventually cause any damage/be more prone to damage.

I'm inexperienced and haven't been able to prune the details on my clearance between mobo and case side etc, so I'd really appreciate it if someone could take a look at my motherboard & case choice to find out if A. the silver arrow would fit and B. it'd be safe to install it. Ram will be low profile 2X4GB initially and while it's true it isn't strictly necessary to use such cooling on it, the CPU in question for overclocking is an i5-2500k.
If it can fit I'd also be interested in whether there are any extra things that can be done or bought (assuming this is necessary) to keep it stable.

Here are the relevant components:
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V PRO
Case: Corsair Graphite 600t White Edition

Thanks in advance for any replies!

More about : silver arrow feasible

a c 183 K Overclocking
October 26, 2011 2:10:39 AM

Your case is over 10" wide so it will have plenty of room for a SA.
The cooler has a backplate so it will be very secure.
Thermalright doesn't make junk their retention system is first class.
It's huge and one of the best air-cooler imo.
Overkill for a 2500K but that's your decision.
You're smart choosing low profile ram which goes along way regardless of what HSF you choose.

EDIT: since you're and inexperienced builder the Archon might be a better option for you.
HSF installs are usually the most difficult part of a build for the 1st timer.
The SA is a behemoth and could be difficult for you,it's a two hander and you might need an extra set as well.
The Archon is an equal in cooling performance and is a taller single tower design as opposed to the dual tower SA.
Both come with the excellent TY-140mm fan.
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/thermalright-archon-120-...
It will fit in your case no problem and be a little less cumbersome to install.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/therma...
October 26, 2011 7:02:46 AM

Thanks for the response Davcon and the consideration of my lack of experience.
Whether I choose the alternative will depend on the situation with my friend in December; he's built several rigs before and offered to help make sure things go smoothly for me as I'm spending so much money.

What do you mean when you say I may need an extra set? I have some ideas but I doubt they're right.

The difference in performance between the two does seem minimal and as you say the Archon is much less difficult to install for a first timer. If I go with th Archon, would you suggest I leave it as is, get a second identical fan or a pair of replacements?
Related resources
a c 183 K Overclocking
October 26, 2011 6:14:42 PM

icantw82makeadatum said:
extra set of hands i believe

That's exactly what i meant :D 
a c 183 K Overclocking
October 26, 2011 6:30:41 PM

Antha said:
Thanks for the response Davcon and the consideration of my lack of experience.
Whether I choose the alternative will depend on the situation with my friend in December; he's built several rigs before and offered to help make sure things go smoothly for me as I'm spending so much money.

What do you mean when you say I may need an extra set? I have some ideas but I doubt they're right.

The difference in performance between the two does seem minimal and as you say the Archon is much less difficult to install for a first timer. If I go with th Archon, would you suggest I leave it as is, get a second identical fan or a pair of replacements?

You'll never need to replace a TY-140mm fan it's the best fan in its class.You could add a 2nd one but i seriously doubt it's necessary.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/140mm-...
Thermalright just released new versions with 150mm TY fans.=dead quiet 21db.
http://www.thermalright.com/products/
These high-end coolers were designed to cool oc'd i7 980X's.
I doubt you'll hit 60C on a stress test with an Archon(one fan) or SA stock(2x 140mm) and oc'd to 4.5ghz.
October 26, 2011 7:20:39 PM

davcon said:
You'll never need to replace a TY-140mm fan it's the best fan in its class.You could add a 2nd one but i seriously doubt it's necessary.
I doubt you'll hit 60C on a stress test with an Archon(one fan) or SA stock(2x 140mm) and oc'd to 4.5ghz.

In my mind spending out for that kind of thermal result is a much better investment than a tiny bit of extra power (e.g going from an Oc'd MSI GTX570 PE to a GTX 580), I'd rather have a little overkill and better overclocking potential for the future so I don't need to replace much for a while.
I'll probably swap to ivy-bridge sometime after it comes out because it doesn't require any other component changes, but I don't want to then feel I need to change chips yearly to keep up with new releases.

At any rate, I'm pretty sold on the Archon especially as I'd like to try to build this by myself if possible, if but for the feeling of self-accomplishment.
I've not seen anywhere but one German store stock the Archon Rev. A, but I'm not too fussed; if it's still not available on a native language site by December I'll just get the normal Archon.

Thanks for your continued help Davcon!
a c 183 K Overclocking
October 26, 2011 9:14:15 PM

Antha said:
In my mind spending out for that kind of thermal result is a much better investment than a tiny bit of extra power (e.g going from an Oc'd MSI GTX570 PE to a GTX 580), I'd rather have a little overkill and better overclocking potential for the future so I don't need to replace much for a while.
I'll probably swap to ivy-bridge sometime after it comes out because it doesn't require any other component changes, but I don't want to then feel I need to change chips yearly to keep up with new releases.

At any rate, I'm pretty sold on the Archon especially as I'd like to try to build this by myself if possible, if but for the feeling of self-accomplishment.
I've not seen anywhere but one German store stock the Archon Rev. A, but I'm not too fussed; if it's still not available on a native language site by December I'll just get the normal Archon.

Thanks for your continued help Davcon!

Np! one other thing, the coolers come with Chillfactor III paste which is excellent btw!
Cheers:) 
October 30, 2011 10:23:32 AM

davcon said:

I want some 150 mm fans!
a b K Overclocking
October 30, 2011 6:09:50 PM

I've had a Silver Arrow, sold it for $50, went for the Corsair Hybrid Water Coolers.

Glad i did.

You won't want to buy one, too much weight pressure on the cpu = bent pins, a b&tc% to install, and just looks bad overall.

-Tim
October 31, 2011 1:48:36 AM

trihedral said:
I've had a Silver Arrow, sold it for $50, went for the Corsair Hybrid Water Coolers.

Glad i did.

You won't want to buy one, too much weight pressure on the cpu = bent pins, a b&tc% to install, and just looks bad overall.

-Tim

I had a big Thermalright went to water cooling for about the same reasons you did, No huge dust magnet,monstrosity in the case
!