AMD 6000+ help!?

vipers992

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
Hey guys, i'm looking to upgrade my Acer T180 with an AMD 6000+ Dual Core, however i'm unsure if my MOBO supports it or if i need a BIOS update to do so. I'm really cautious about this since i have no clue how to update the BIOS and worries me knowing it could break my computer.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/128510/show_product_reviews
Thats the exact product i want to buy

http://www.foxconnchannel.com/product/Motherboards/detail_overview.aspx?ID=en-us0000223
My MOBO is an Acer modified version of this but all the specifics are the same

Some help would be much appreciated! :)

zxc123

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
I bought Mom an Acer T180 a while back. I keep the software and bios etc.. updated for her, but I didn't find any documentation on which cpu's they support. She doesn't need a better cpu to check email so I haven't done it. Am2 boards usually work with the Athlon x2 CPUs though, it's the Phenoms they have some trouble with, my guess is that it would work ok, just a guess though.

Flashing the bios on that computer is very easy actually, if needed. It works through Windows. Some people get nervous about flashing bios in Windows instead of the older way of using a bootable floppy disk. R01-C0 is the current version: download, extract, Right click Winflash, run as administrator, select the file that has .bin extension, click button to save copy of old bios, click button to install new bios, wait until it says finished (about 10seconds),restart computer, done. Make sure no other programs are running at the time, virus scanners, etc... so they don't interrupt. If god turns off the power during those 10 seconds then you'll need to buy a new $30 Mobo though.

zxc123

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
Download the bios zip file from Acer and run the Winflash program that comes with it.
http://gd.panam.acer.com/home/
On Acer's site click desktop,Aspire,Aspire t180,bios

JTBomb007

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
Hey i have just noticed this thread....i originally started off with an Acer T180, had a 4200+ in...upgraded to a 6400+ and i had to update my BIOS, half way through it failed so i had to buy a new mobo lol :)

But someone did tell me i would of been better off buying just a 6000+ because then i wouldnt have needed to update the BIOS, but tbh they didnt come across as if they was 100% sure.

Good luck anyway

vipers992

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
My current one is 3800 Athlon x2, i have a Sapphire 4850 and 3 gigs of ram in it. I do minor gaming and my CPU is capping the FPS since its always above 80% usage while playing in areas with many players doing multiple things (WoW) with 10< FPS, whereas in quiet areas im >60

Overclocking will ease it a bit but an upgrade like a 3.1ghz 6000+ x2 will be my best bet and at 50 pound with an apparently easy Bios update i think i'll take that route, i was going to get a Quadcore, but realising how much of a hassle and expense it would be to replace my mini tower, mini MOBO and processor cost, i took 6000+ as my best bet, it seems to be a pretty awesome value for money dual core and one of AMD's best.

Im going to do a bit of research on this BIOS update first though since its all alien to me.

skora

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
Before you go changing the CPU, you'll have to contact Acer to find out what the new bios will support. Regardless of what the Nvidia chipset supports, the bios will be the hurdle. Prebuilt manufactures save money by writing a BIOS that is specific to just a few chips sometimes or they order a mobo with limitations to voltage and TDP so they can use cheaper parts. So until you hear from them, I wouldn't make a move at all.

vipers992

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
Ok will do, but i heard from other places this new update does not allow overclocking, it just allows compatability of higher voltage chips.

I.E If you tried to overclock a low voltage CPU making it consume more voltage, it would not work. If you buy a new CPU with high voltage as standard, it would work.