GTX 285 SLI x 2 vs GTX 295 x 1?

jjkelas

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
I am about to built me a new computer for work and I'm still wondering what the best option would be. The computer will be used 95% for 3DS Max and rest for word processor, internet and emails. I would like to know what would be the best option for the video:

GTX 285 sli x 2
GTX 295 x 1

My question is because the core clock, memory clock and memory interface on the 285 is faster then the 295.

lorik

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2009
gtx 285 x2 is faster ,but if you're not going to use it for gaming go for the gtx 295 ,or better yet wait for ati 5850 which is going to be much cheaper than gtx 295 while on par with gtx 295 if performance is what you seek

G

Dont buy them now! Just wait for 1 week and grab 2 of 5870 which will humiliate GTX295 even ASUS MARS!

jjkelas

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
Thanks for the sugestions, but I need NVidia because of compatibility with some plugins Im using.
Most of my work will be based on PhysX.

Here's 203 reasons why to do the 295:

1. 200 bucks
2. Ability to use multiple monitors (common in CAD workstations)
3. Can add 2nd 295 if Item 2 above doesn't bother you
4. Requires only 850 W PS

Here's reasons to do 2 x 285:

1. Baddest twin card solution available today.
2. Boss don't care what I spend.
3. Aftermarket cooling solutions available.

"Back in the day" ATI had never played nicely w/ AutoCAD. Since 2008 IIRC, AutoDesk took that decision out of our hands when it stopped supporting direct hardware acceleration under Open GL. Since then I have tried to keep an open mind on ATI vs nVidia but it seems that whenever I sit down to spec out a new system or upgrade the GFX on an older one, nVidia sits comfortably on the top of the pile.

Note that on AutoDesk's Supported List (32/64 XP/Vista) the GTX 285/295 are not listed ....yet...but the 280 is):

http://www.autodesk.com/autocad-graphicscard

As for vaporware .... my approach is if ya get into the "just wait for the next big thing" mode, then you never buy anything. Stuff never arrives when it's promised, initial drivers are always buggy and take 6 months to get rid of the bugaboos and even if all went well by the time it's released, then your waiting for Intel's new CPU's or the next generation of SSD's.

Scroll down to the bottom of this thread for a card comparison:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/270776-31-edit-finalized-version-high-gaming-processing-server

And here's a detailed review and comparison:

http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews.php?reviewid=711&pageid=23

I paid particular attention to the thermal and noise references in this article as compared to the ATI alternative.

Interesting that the ATI card retains the old Diamond "Fire GL" name even though AutOCAD no longer supports direct hardware acceleration under GL.

As for the difference....main one is price. Expect a $250 GTX card to be $1,000 for an "equivalent" level Quadro. A detailed description of the differences can be found here.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/quadro_geforce.html

One of the main things tho is that the GTX is designed to display pre-rendered images whereas the Quadro renders the image from a wire frame in real time.

I don't use 3D max but as an AutoCAD user, I can tell you that at the local CAD training center, the employees tend to "prefer" the gaming cards over the professional workstation cards for their personal machines .... but that goes back to the days of hanging out after the training sessions were over and playing Doom on the office LAN on those big $ 3000 CAD displays. :)

mazdaman89

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
The human eye cant tell but if your monitors refresh rate is 60 Hz then you can only ever see 60 Fps.
anything over the and it will cause tearing. anything over 60 Fps is a waste unless your are benchmarking. and GTX 285 X2 is the way to go for both gaming and computational rendering. But for a single card solution the GTX 295 is better.

I think i would know I'm an IT guy.