Hyper 212 evo shaky

G

I installed my evo but it rotates a little bit. I think its normally suposed to be installed the fan blowing horizontally but I installed it vertically and the litttle pin on the top of the bottom of the heatsink doesn't fit inside the notch of the retention plate. So it moves. I made it as tight as possible. Is it okay if it moves a little bit?

Or could it be because of my terrible thermal paste job... I know I'm supposed to put a bead sized amount of thermal paste but while I was installing my evo I accidentally splurted a dime amount. I was too lazy and left it and as Iwas installing it the paste fell and dripped onto my cpu. I said sh*t and as I did that I moved my cpu and i dripped squiggly lines of thermal paste on the side. I ran out of paste so, other than cleaning up the squiggly lines I left it all there. Could it be the extra paste allowing the evo to rotate around?

Solution
Middle retainer?
Are you referring to the screw in the middle of the retention plate? I don't know what that is, I just left it there... I don't know what to do with it. I put it in the hole in the middle of the heatsink. I checked and retightened all my other screws.

I actually changed from wc to evo...
But before wc my stock temps were idle: 30c, load: 80c
Right now its idle: 25C, load 58C.
My cpu is a 2500k @ 4.5ghz. I think temps are still pretty good :p. I'm testing for stability right now. I don't know if I have enough thermal paste left to redo the thermal paste o_O. I can't seem to save my thermal paste :/. I spent my IC7 in one day while i was doing my wc... redoing it again and again to get it perfect on one cpu... and...
G

I didn't install one of my blackplate nuts o_O.
Pin goes inside hole now. :p
Evo is still shaky though... is it supposed to be shaky? Its not much, like one or two cm rotation but I want it to be sturdy.

Well it's obvious you've used way too much paste.
The provided tube gives you enough paste for a few more applications down the road.
I got 4 out of my 212+ tube.
Tighten the retention screws by rotating in a criss-cross fashion.opposite corners.
Do not overtighten.
Loosen the middle retainer before doing that.
Tighten that down last.
Ideally you would have measured temps before and after changing from stock to the new HSF.
http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

G

Middle retainer?
Are you referring to the screw in the middle of the retention plate? I don't know what that is, I just left it there... I don't know what to do with it. I put it in the hole in the middle of the heatsink. I checked and retightened all my other screws.

My cpu is a 2500k @ 4.5ghz. I think temps are still pretty good :p. I'm testing for stability right now. I don't know if I have enough thermal paste left to redo the thermal paste o_O. I can't seem to save my thermal paste :/. I spent my IC7 in one day while i was doing my wc... redoing it again and again to get it perfect on one cpu... and than playing with rest later on my frying pan...

Middle retainer?

My cpu is a 2500k @ 4.5ghz. I think temps are still pretty good :p. I'm testing for stability right now. I don't know if I have enough thermal paste left to redo the thermal paste o_O. I can't seem to save my thermal paste :/. I spent my IC7 in one day while i was doing my wc... redoing it again and again to get it perfect on one cpu... and than playing with rest later on my frying pan...
Your temps are excellent btw i wouldn't worry about them.
The middle retention screw is tightened by finger/thumb anyways.
Just secure it as best you can.
Looks to me like your done.
Enjoy!:)
Lol! i know your type i have a buddy who's terrible with paste applications.
I watch him apply it for sh!ts and giggles! :na:

Solution