Data recovery help

Zelores

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
I'm sure this has been asked many times before. So I have a wd my book essential 500gb. Last week it wouldn't show up on my comp or any other one. Did a quick search online said to go and give the drive a letter so I did. Still nothing. Let my buddy look at it and he ended up formatting it and says now it should work...... It dose but all data is gone now......

Anyways, I've ran many types of recovery software and only one seems to work slightly. The only files it finds is the backup software that came on the device. Is there anything else I can do or am I s.o.l? It had about 250gb worth on it. All of it can't be gone if the recovery software can see the backup that was on it before.

I've been going at this for a week straight now.....

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hello,

Please tell us the OS you are using, and if Windows, which version.
Go to Disk Management, and see if you can now see the removable HDD. If so, what does it list in the Drive Status and Volume Status section?
Until you recover as much data as possible, don't write anything or make any other changes to this external drive.

Easeus has a nice Data Recovery Wizard, free edition, which you could try.

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hello,

Hopefully your friend only quick formatted your external HDD. the fact that the volume status is healthy and has a drive letter, means it OK.
You just need to try to recover your data.

Easeus has a Data Recovery Wizard which is free and you can download to your present computer. Give it a try. Choose complete recovery

Double check that the drive you are going to recover is the F: external disk before you start.

For completeness, in Disk Mgmt, in the lower graphical section on the left list the Drive status:
It will read something similar to: Disk 1, Basic, xxx sizeMB, Online, or similar. That's the Drive status.

arkadi

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
The most important thing is not to copy files to your Drive. Recovering data is a bit tricky, and you need some experience to maximize your chances. If you have really important data on it, i recommend to get processional help, it is not cheap.
If you want a free solution, as far as i remember Easeus can scan for free, but it will recover only 1gb. Try Minitool Power Data Recovery Free Edition http://www.powerdatarecovery.com/, saved me more than ones.

davis42

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011
Your wd my book essential 500gb is corrupted so that ir prompts so, and you are unable to access your data. You need a efficient data recovery software for the recovery of your hard drive, go for Kernel for FAT and NTFS hard disk data recovery software which works on windows platform, it can recover accidentally deleted (shift+delete), formatted drive, corrupted data from hard drives, flash drives or memory cards. for more details and procedure go to http://www.windowsdatarecovery.com