Win7 / 8800GTX - Screaming!?

Blank2k2

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2005
I recently decided to try out Win7, and i like it but...

After about an hour, the system (i assume) goes into standby, and its causing my graphics card to scream like a banshee.

the 8800GTX screams (be it from the card or the mobo, its screaming.) when it doesnt have enough power, and something is causing it to scream like hell when standby or something similar kicks in.

Vista didnt do this, and the cards perfectly fine.... But this scream is very loud, it actually happened while I was in bed and it woke up the household in terror.

So does anyone know whats causing this to happen? & how to fix it.

Thanks in advance.

Blank2k2

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2005
Umm.... Well, it screamed before i made this post which is when i turned it off...

Just decided to turn it on to see if i could find out what it was, and the computer wont power up at all, motherboard power lights are lit, but its not powering on at all or even trying to.

*scratches head*

Blank2k2

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2005
Hmm, i dont think its a capacitor thing... this goes on for awhile, its fire alarm volume and it went on for a good couple of minutes the othernight as we were laying in bed wondering what the hell the horrible sound was, til i go out of bed / came downstairs & found it was the pc screaming away.

Anyway, my PC is still dead right now, so im labeling it as maybe some kinda warning the PSU was going to go pop, testing PSU tomorrow.... luckily 5 year warranty! :)

Its coil sequel and is as annoying as hell. The is solutions to this problem. Get two ramsinks and apply them to the adelta coils at the back of the card. If the sticky pads are bad scrap off the pad and use arctic silver 5 as a thermal glue. IF you don't have any ramsinks on hand here is a little guide that will save you some $$. Note only try this if you are not a noob!!

Find some scrap aluminum or copper plate from any source but old cpu coolers are good. Break off a fin or two and get a steel file or sand paper and lap till a flat surface is apparent. Once that is complete get a tube of arctic silver 5 and put a very tiny glob of compound on top of the coil then apply the shim/ ghetto cooler. The adelta coils are screamers and get hot so this is only a band aid solution. The coils are the gray box or square like parts between the two round cylinders at the back of the card.
gf8800gtx-scan-front.jpg

This should be a peace of cake compared to what I had to do in order to just get mine to work but it was a good deal for only $32. For those who got a x1900xt or xtx that has a coil sequel issue let me know.

Kari

Splendid
the scream was from the card, the 'low power warning' siren... There's a small pietso electric siren onboard and it kicks in when the card isn't getting enough juice. Too bad the PSU took the mobo with it...

and it's a lot louder than any coil squel could ever be.

Ouch that sucks, if the board is xfx you should see if you can get an rma asap. For the psu you should look for antec or enermax that has equal to or more than 650watts with 30amps+ on the 12v rails. They are pricey but worth it. I loaded a antec ea650 with a 8800gtx and a 9800gt with a less than energy efficient 780i and e6400 at 3.4ghz. plus a crap load of fans and drives.