Gateway Processor Upgrade Procedure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for Gateway Performance 500 schematic, procedure or manual for replacing Processor.

I thought I posted this earlier, but when I look up my threads, nothing came up. Sorry if duplicated.

Solution
Ok guys firstly some bad news

Pentium 3's had two sockets commonly used during the lifespan - I believe the chip you are talking about is a socket 370.

Pentium 4's used sokcet 423 / 478 / 775 none of which work in socket 370 boards

ulysses35

Distinguished
ok first thing to do is download CPUz - this free utility will help you identify which motherboard is installed in your PC

Once you know which mobo you have if its a well known brands you will be able to check their website for compatible CPU's

As usual, the gateway.com site was no help in looking for info. Tried downloading their driver scanner gtwupd.exe, and only got .doc file.
did scan after download and gtwupd.exe is not on hard drive.

CPUz gave me the following:
TABOR 3 WS440BX
REVISION: TABOR 3 4000504.211 (SERIAL A)
DMI BIOS INTEL VERS 4W45B0X0.15A.0013.P08 (DATE 04-22-99)
Could find no info on the above.

Want to replace the Pentium III with Pentium IV processor which I extracted from a dead DELL Dimension 4500. Why you ask ?
As a hobby. Just want to see if I can do it, and have it run !
(Have had this unit on my desk since '99 & it still serves me well on the Internet, albeit, a little slow ! )

Thanks for previous, and any future response.

ulysses35

Distinguished
Ok guys firstly some bad news

Pentium 3's had two sockets commonly used during the lifespan - I believe the chip you are talking about is a socket 370.

Pentium 4's used sokcet 423 / 478 / 775 none of which work in socket 370 boards

Solution

Thanks for saving me from wasting time. I checked my service tag at Dell and got the following for processor.

9K795 Processor, 80532, 2.0G, 512K, 400FSB, Socket N

Does this mean it is 423/478/775 type ?

Thanks again for your responses.

Received another response saying it won't work, and after doing further research (No thanks to DELL) and looking at slot1 - 370 - and pentium 4 pictures, can see why. I actually took a pix of the pentium IV and counted pins & came up with 482, so I guess it is a 478, due to my miscounting !

Thanks for your input.

Status
Not open for further replies.