Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Thoughts on wc build list?!

Tags:
  • Water Cooling
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
October 26, 2011 4:16:16 AM

hello everyone! im building my new gaming rig and im looking to watercool it. this will be my first watercooling venture outside of a cpu only loop with res/pump combos. im going all out on this one!

the system is:

Intel I7 940 (i want to OC it)
EVGA X58 mobo
3x EVGA GTX 470 cards in 3-way sli
9800gt for physx
2x ocz vertex 120gb SSD's in RAID
3x WD 300gb Raptors
Corsair 600t graphite white edition.
Antec Quattro 1000w PSU

My Goals:
QUIET THESE 470's!!!! lol
OC the CPU above 4.0GHz
gain more WC experience
and bragging rights of course :) 

product list:

XSPC Rasa Black CPU Block

3x EK-FC470 GTX 470 GPU Full Cover Copper/Plexi Blocks

EK X58 SLI LE Chipset Block

XSPC Acrylic 2bay Res for D5 Pump

Swiftech MCP-655 with Speed Control Pump

XSPC RS240 Radiator

Swiftech MCR 420-XP Radiator

10ft PrimoFlex Pro LRT White Tubing -1/2in. ID X 3/4in. OD

6ft PrimoChill Anti-Kink Coils - UV Red

10 XSPC G1/4" to (13mm) 1/2" Barb Fitting - Black Chrome Finish

Danger Den UV Red Delrin 1/2" (3/4" OD) Tubing Clamps - 10 Pack

2x ENZOTECH BSLI-1 Fittings Package for SLI Setups

Koolance Drain Valve [13mm, 1/2"]

okay so i think i covered everything im going to possibly need for the build.. any comments opinions and thoughts are greatly appreciated!

thanks everyone!

More about : thoughts build list

a b K Overclocking
October 26, 2011 1:47:02 PM

Quote:
Intel I7 940 (i want to OC it)
EVGA X58 mobo
3x EVGA GTX 470 cards in 3-way sli
9800gt for physx
2x ocz vertex 120gb SSD's in RAID
3x WD 300gb Raptors
Corsair 600t graphite white edition.
Antec Quattro 1000w PSU

Having a 9800GT for PhysX doesn't make much sense here - personally I'd just take it out of this rig. Very few games specifically use PhysX, and it could easily be run on your CPU or on part of 1 GPU. There's not much benefit in 3-way SLI, so I'd have PhysX use one of the GPUs for processing, but not only for PhysX.

I ran 3x470s at one point, and it didn't make a big difference until I bought 3 monitors - one for each GPU.

Quote:
EK X58 SLI LE Chipset Block

I don't quite understand this, as WCing this will restrict the loop and you won't really get much out of it IMO.

Quote:
XSPC RS240 Radiator

Swiftech MCR 420-XP Radiator

I'd go for the thicker RX radiators. They work pretty damn well, and 240 + 480 gives you a good amount of rad space with better rads.

Quote:
10ft PrimoFlex Pro LRT White Tubing -1/2in. ID X 3/4in. OD

6ft PrimoChill Anti-Kink Coils - UV Red

I love this tubing. Unless you like those Anti-Kink Coils just for looks, scrap them. I speak from personal experience when I say those are completely unnecessary; this tubing is solid.

Quote:
Koolance Drain Valve [13mm, 1/2"]

A fillport is a good idea as well if you can't use the XSPC BayRes fillport. A drain is a good investment though.

m
l
a c 481 K Overclocking
October 26, 2011 5:02:03 PM

Yeah, you don't need kink coils if you are using good tubing. You can make tight bends by immersing tubing in boiling water in the shape you want and then dunking in ice water. Make sure when making bends this way, you have a way to keep the tubing from collapsing ...try using something like this (found in my local Ace Hardware store in the plumbing section for like $3)

m
l
Related resources
October 26, 2011 5:06:37 PM

@rubix- thanks i will look for some of that and try some because i will have a few places in the loop with some tight turns.

@boiler- ive been debating on the chipset cooling and i think im going to leave it out of the loop for now then.

also on the physx card. i did see a gain in Dirt2 and Dirt3 with it when i had only 2x 470's. my 3rd 470 still hasnt arrived yet so i dont have any benches with the 3-way + physx. but i did gain about 5FPS more with the 9800.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
October 26, 2011 5:45:44 PM

I just think the 105W needed to run the 9800GT isn't worth 5FPS. Once you're over 60, the difference is basically invisible...
m
l