Phenom ii 720 temperature

Nashsafc

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
does 38 degrees celcius idle for an amd phenom ii 720 overclocked at 3.2ghz sound about right? I have a zalman 9500nt cpu cooler. My case is a larger micro atx. Sometimes when i'm lucky if i wait sometime for the cpu to cool down it goes to 35 degrees. When it is on load consumption, it goes up to 54 degrees max. But mostly it's at 52-3 degrees. Does this sound about right for the particular cooler i am using?

Nashsafc

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
if i got a phenom ii 955 processor. Would it be hottor on stock clock? Or about the same, they say they are coming out 95 watts in the future, if that happens would it be around about the same temperature idle as my current phenom? Or not really seeing how it is quad core? I'm worrying because in the future i will be getting a pii 955, and i will be staying with my cpu cooler and case. I'm only planning on overlcoking it on it's stock voltages.

Upendra09

Distinguished
38 is good for idle, it is in fact well below what a stock 720 cooler can do

58 is ok for full load, normal stock coolers keep the 720 at around 62-64

the new 95 watt Phenoms will also stay at around the same temps as the 720

Nashsafc

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
as i said 54 degrees, but that is one off, it usually hangs around 53, 52. So you're saying with stock it's 63 degrees? Oh and also goody, won't worry too much about cpu cooler and case problem.

Nashsafc

Distinguished
May 13, 2009

Upendra09

Distinguished
It is fine

and yes the temp will go down when u take the cover off cuz then u have totally fresh colder air

Your temps are very good, don't stress about it, at the worst ur temps are a bit lower than usual, which is good, so in other words, u are fine in any case,

What are u worried about?

Nashsafc

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
i have a micro atx case as you can see. There were space limitting factors on my desk that made me have to choose micro atx. I'm just worrying that if i had got an atx case, the temperatures would have gone down alot more. Looking at those pictures of my case would you say that my case is satisfactory at cooling the cpu down? I'm just thinking that there were a number of atx cases for near the price. But then i'm happy with a micro atx set up, with this case i can actually stick any gpu card i want. I don't need SLI/CFX, especailly not for a 19 inch screen with a 1280 x 1024 resolution. That's the only downside i suppose, and the fact i can't put liquid cooling/ bigger fansink cooling into the pc. but then temps go down by like 5 degrres celcius and that for me sounds like alot and that there is something seriously flawed with my case.

xsever

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2008
I am running a 720 @ 3.0GHz with the fourth core unlocked. My idle temps are around 35 and load temps are around 50 C. I use K10 stat though which lets me customize the power saving profiles and undervolt.

I am using a cooler from an older Athlon and I have retrofitted a bigger fan. Basically a modded heatshink. I also have my side panel open.

I hope this helps.

Nashsafc

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
what is the original heatsink that you have? And what is the fan size of it. Do you rekon my temps are average or typical to my type of cpu cooler? So there are no major problems with my matx layout?

xsever

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2008
The fan I have is an 80mm. I have it hooked to a rheostat which allows me to control its speed. The original heatsink was the small one that comes with the 720. I was not satisfied with it.

I think your temps are fine although I'd expect a better performance out of a Zalman 9500. Maybe your ambient temp is higher. Mine's around 21 C.

Nashsafc

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
xsever have a look at the links i posted previously in this message. They show the pictures of my case configuration. Then you can criticise and tell me why the zalman 9500 should perform better. I'm also using arctic silver 5 thermal compund as well take that into account.

xsever

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2008
I can see the pictures although they are not very clear. As Upendra09 said, maybe you need to re-apply the thermal paste to get better results.

I am not trying to criticize just for the sake of it. Given that I am using an older Athlon's heatsink and you are using a zalman 9500, you should be getting better temps than me. As I said before, maybe your ambient temperature is higher.

Nashsafc

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
no i want you to critisize it. My ambient temps are about the same as yours. So what temps would you expect from the cpu. The nb voltage also seems to effect it as well. When i put it down the temps are lower. When i put it on auto the temps become slightly higher. Putting it down still seems to keep the computer stable.

xsever

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2008
@Nashsafc

I cannot tell you exactly where your temps should be because I am running customized power states (Using K10Stat). There are so many variables so it is really not easy to pinpoint numbers. The Zalman 9500 is pretty good cooler, so I expect it to perform better. By how much? I would not be able to tell you unless you are running the same settings I am.

Take a look at mine:

Clock Speed______________ Voltage
3.0GHz __________________1.3125
2.1GHz__________________ 1.0750
1.6GHz__________________ 1.0250
0.4GHz__________________ 0.6625

With these settings, and an ambient temperature of 20C, idle is 32 C and load is 49 C. I do not know exactly what is the RPM of my fan since it's hooked to a rheostat. All I know is that it's running at the lowest speed that can be set by the rheostat.

Nashsafc

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
My ambient temps are around about 21. They vary sometimes 23. But it looks like even when it's 19 degrees the cpu still shows 38 degrees idle. When it is 22 degrees the cpu shows 38 degrees idle. Could this because of the graphics card limiting it. But then not really, because when the graphics card goes from 38 degress to 44 degrees the cpu stays exactly the same with no slight heat increase.

xsever

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2008
Could you please read my replies well and understand what I am trying to tell you. I do not get the point of your last post. Ok your graphics card may or may not be affecting it ( I do not think it is) but what else?

How can I help you further? What are you trying to do?

xsever

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2008
I suggest you check out K10Stat and tune your power saving profiles. It could be very complicated since I do not know how skillful you are, but it's worth it.

Nashsafc

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
how would i do that? If i fon't know how to do that is that suggestiong finished lol? But i understand fairly quickly as i was able to build my computer from no knowledge at all from reserching to knowing quite a bit.