surstroming

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
hey I bought my pc for about 3 years ago,

specs

g-force8800gt

2gig ram

amd athlon 64x2 2.41ghz 4800+

and for 3 years everytime I played games I got uneven framerates, and checked my cpu temprature, and saw it was overheating.

and then I got CPU-z and saw that my multiplier was on 12.5 (2.5 ghz)

and then realized that they were playing with my computer(the ppl who sold the pc), I got the right cpu from them but it was overclocked.
it was not until a half a year ago when I corrected it by disabling cool n quiet in the bios, and then I sat the settings on the lowest possible, voltage, multiplier,(12x the regular setting) etc

and everything went fine for the past 6 months, it wasn't overheating or anything, but then when I played games I got uneven framerates again, checked the temperature, it was overheating (68+Celsius some might not think its that high but u get an unstable gameplay performance) and then I checked the status on CPU-z and saw that the multiplier was on 12.5x!

everytime I reboot my pc it starts with the lowest settings I gave it but then after some time it changes, the multiplier increases while I'm playing games ( is this possible?) it went back to 12.5x. (2.5ghz)

but when I go back into my bios it tells me that the multiplier is on 12x so ti changes after a while when my computer has been turned on. I deleted the cache with Firefox about the same time when the cpu started to change can this have something to do with it?

I tried doing a system restore and the played some games, and I thought the problem was fixed, but then I went on to you tube and about 30 min after it overclocked itself again. so can any1 tell me whats going on with my CPU? why is it overclocking itself?

Cryslayer80

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2009
It is desperate and disappointed with life so it wants to commit suicide. Maybe you feed it bad? Do you give him cheesy poofs in the morning, goulash for dinner and fishsticks for supper? What is the emotional state of your CPU? Is it sad or depressed because of some recent event that happened? Or is it just mad and ready for a mental institution? Or is it maybe it is unhappy with it's motherboard or BIOS? Why don't you check the manufacturers site, they usually have the latest BIOSes there which will hopefully un-depress your CPU. If nothing helps, consult your doctor. If that doesn't help, consult a priest.

surstroming

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
I don't get the message...

like, the motherboards drivers or the cpu? btw is there a way I can see all of my computers drivers somewhere?

surstroming

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
so brisbane is suppose to run at 2.5ghz? but that option isn't available in the bios. and 2.5 ghz lags while playing games, but everything worked fine 2 days ago.

what am I suppose to do? why does it change clock speed after being on for a while? isn't there a way to lock it?

:pfff:

Instead of making a nearly unrelated story of how to fix the problem, just say how to fix it and be done with it........ Making a comment that 3/4 of it that is useless helps no one.

"It is desperate and disappointed with life so it wants to commit suicide. Maybe you feed it bad? Do you give him cheesy poofs in the morning, goulash for dinner and fishsticks for supper? Or is it just mad and ready for a mental institution? consult your doctor. If that doesn't help, consult a priest."
All of these sentences are useless to help someone problems.

People like answers simple and straight to the point. If you cant really do this then dont comment. let someone else try to help that will be more helpful.

what you may missed in Cryslayer80 comment is that you may need to update your bios on the motherboard.

Now before i can continue on i need manufacture and model number of your MB this will help us to find a problem.

Cryslayer80

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2009
Sorry all, just found the OP too funny: "My CPU overclocks it self :D". So it gave me an idea... Yeah, if you have a Brisbane Athlon the only problem you have is the cooling which can be fixed by a good aftermarket cooler or by setting up a good airflow. If you have Toledo, I have no idea, I guess you should upgrade your BIOS.

surstroming

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
I hope this is the right information, copied from cpu-z

manufacturer: MSI
Model: MS-7369 1.0
Chipset: Nvidia Nforce 520 rev. a3
Southbridge: Nvidia nforce 520
LPCIO: Winbond w83627DHG

BIOS

Brand: american megatrends inc.
version: v2.0
Date: 06/12/2007

graphic interface

version: PCI-Express
Link-Width: x16 max supported x16
side band: "BLANK"

btw theres nothing wrong with my cooling, everything went fine untill my cpu had "cheesy poofs in the morning"

G

Hey guys :)

I really need someones help here, its kinda on the same topic, so here goes:

I have a core 2 duo that just over clocks itself when i play COD6, the defualt clock speed is 2.66ghz but when i resently try to play cod, it plays very unstable and when i check in Rivertuna i noticed that the clocks go OFF THE CHARTS @ 7.2ghz per core, i know thats hard to believe cause niether did i when i saw it. I recently installed a Antec 600w PSU so Im wondering if that has something to do with it, Oh and i noticed the other day that the heatsink clips popped out so i put them back.

I really hope one of you guys could help out here, will really aprciate it, many thanks.

Here is my pc specs if it helps:

Core 2 duo 2.66
800mhz ram 1 gig x 2
ECS mother b (just an entry leavel board, does not support overclocking at all)
gf8800gt
xp pro sp3

TRENDING THREADS