Is my PSU the problem ?

psyklone2k7

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
Recently i purchased the Antec 902 case with its 200mm top fan and 3 120mm back and front fans and since i have wired it back up it boots onto my desktop and shuts down when i attempt to load anything.

My specs:
Q6700 2.66ghz
4gb ddr 2 667mhz
HD Radeon 4870
1x 250gb HDD
22" Samsung LCD @ 1980x1020
Corsair 550W VX PSU

Is my PSU not powerful enough for this setup ? if so could anyone recommend a suitable PSU for less than £90 to fit the Bill for my setup and Antec 902 case

P.S my psu is lower mounted and needs fairly length leads.

Thanks in advance.

If I am understanding you correctly, you just changed cases and put all stuff from old case into new case. That shouldn't affect your PSU. Are you sure you plugged in BOTH MoBo the 20-24 pin (usually at upper right and 4 / 8 pin (usually up by the CPU on left) ?

psyklone2k7

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
And yes everything plugged in because the computer manages to load the operating system but shuts off dead anytime i try to load a program etc. I beleive the power needed from the 4 LED fans was enough to push it over the limit

But i will test it wth another PSU before purchasing

any other solutions or PSU recommendations for the Antec 902 case are very welcome !

Thanks.

The 550 watt Corsair is more than powerful enough to run your system. You might need an 8 pin extender cable unless you want to run the CPU power cable over the video card.

And the 4 Antec case fans, even on HIGH, will pull only about an amp at 12 volts.

On my Antec 900 cases, I plugged the two front fans together and the top and rear fans together, then plug them into one of the molex power cables.

psyklone2k7

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
Ok thank you JSC, i am not the one who built my PC, my friend does it so i will show him this thread when he comes to rebuild tuesday.

So it sounds like a non PSU related issue to why my PC shuts off dead just after loading the desktop. i guess we need to do some more experimenting to fix this one.

thanks though.