Direct X and Laptops

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
May 13, 2004 3:56:20 AM

Microsoft has direct x (ver. 9.0) as a critical update. My question is if i
never play games on my laptop, do I really need this update?

Thanks Bob

More about : direct laptops

May 13, 2004 3:56:21 AM

There may be security issues with older versions of Direct X.

Regards, hawk

Bob wrote:

> Microsoft has direct x (ver. 9.0) as a critical update. My question is if i
> never play games on my laptop, do I really need this update?
>
> Thanks Bob

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 13, 2004 5:50:33 PM

Bob <bobdawn1@verizon.net> wrote:
> Microsoft has direct x (ver. 9.0) as a critical update. My question
> is if i never play games on my laptop, do I really need this update?

I asked myself the same question. Really it comes down to your trust in
Microsoft. I just looked at it, and thought to myself, DirectX has got some
networking components doesn't it? Well, what if there is a hack of some kind
available to attack your computer through a DirectX vulnerability? I don't
know for sure, but Microsoft's critical update descriptions are next to
useless -- about the only useful information they give is whether the update
will require a reboot or not, and sometimes they don't even give that!

If it's annoying you, you can go to the Windows Update site and personalize
your settings so that this particular update will go invisible to you next
time you visit the Windows Update site.

Yousuf Khan
!