DLL Error at Startup

I had a problem (message below) where two of the same RUNDLL error would appear at startup. I followed the solutions mentioned in the reply below and now I only have one message appearing. I tried using the Msconfig utility to pinpoint whether the remaining RUNDLL message was in the WIN.INI, Services, Startup, etc. Regardless of what option I excluded from the startup, the message would still appear. Any suggestions? Please help.

Thanks,
Gray

>When I boot up and windows finishes loading (or very close to loading all system tray apps) I get two messages (both say the same thing).
>
>Title Bar: RUNDLL
>Message: Error loading C:\Windows\sdkss32.dll
> The specified module could not be found
>
>This dll was removed by my virus program that labelled it as some sort of spam program. I believe this to be correct, so I'm not worried about that per say. Just trying to figure out how to remove the "boot" command that is telling my computer to look for the dll.

Check your startup settings to find out what is causing this.
Applications that start with Windows can be found here:
- the WIN.INI, section [windows], entries "run=" and "load="
- the Registry keys
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
- the folders
C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\ALL USERS\START MENU\PROGRAMS\STARTUP
C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\{username}\START MENU\PROGRAMS\STARTUP
See also "How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows
XP" (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310560). There is something
left that still points to the spam program, so find this entry and
delete it.
1 answer Last reply
More about error startup

    Most likely from a scumware application.

    First. Make sure of these settings and nothing will install without you
    answering YES. (Except what may install as part of some other software.)
    Don't click YES if you don't know/trust the source.

    Start | Settings | Control Panel | Internet Options | Advanced tab |
    Make sure both of these are NOT checked.

    Enable Install On Demand (Internet Explorer)
    [[Specifies to automatically download and install Internet Explorer
    components if a Web page needs them in order to display the page properly or
    perform a particular task.]]

    Enable Install On Demand (Other)
    [[Specifies to automatically download and install Web components if a Web
    page needs them in order to display the page properly or perform a
    particular task.]]

    Apply | OK

    Enable Install On Demand (Other)
    Is part of the driveby downloading of unwanted programs. i.e. Scumware or
    whatever will install w/o you even being aware of it.
    =====

    Second. If you need a scan right now.

    Follow the instructions!
    THE PARASITE FIGHT QUICK FIX PROTOCOL
    http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.php

    =====

    Third.
    It is known as scumware. Visit these sites. 1, 2, 3 and 4 are really good.
    Download, install, run, update and run again; one or all. They are all
    good, FREE utilities. Make sure you update every program, even if you
    just downloaded it. You must have the latest updates. Without updates,
    you have a gun without ammo.

    1) CWShredder direct download:
    http://216.180.233.163/~merijn/files/CWShredder.exe

    2) SpywareBlaster
    [[SpywareBlaster doesn't scan and clean for spyware - it prevents it from
    ever being installed.
    The most important step you can take is to secure your system. And
    SpywareBlaster is the most powerful protection program available.]]

    3) Spybot S & D (More for the advanced user)
    http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?lang=en&page=download

    4) HijackThis (some other stuff that may be of interest also)

    4a) HijackThis (direct download)
    http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.zip

    5) Bazooka Adware and Spyware Scanner v1.13
    http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/index.html?source=appvisit

    6) ToolbarCop
    http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/toolbarcop.htm

    7) Ad-aware

    =====

    MVPS HOSTS file is a free download from:
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/

    Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts File
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

    =====

    Problems uninstalling? Here's some advice.
    http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/uninstallproblems.phtml

    Additional information & instructions.
    A wealth of information here, boys and girls.

    THE PARASITE FIGHT QUICK FIX PROTOCOL
    http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm

    THE PARASITE FIGHT
    Finding, Removing & Protecting Yourself From Scumware
    http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm

    Bugs, Glitches & Stuffups

    Dealing with Unwanted Spyware and Parasites
    http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;827315#appliesto

    Spyware and Deceptive Software
    http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/twc/privacy/spyware.mspx?gssnb=1

    What you should know about spyware
    http://www.microsoft.com/security/articles/spyware.asp

    Cleaning Up XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_c.htm#cleanup
    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:4CACB47F-043C-4D0C-8D0A-39B11F6A5B5B@microsoft.com,
    Gray <Gray@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > I had a problem (message below) where two of the same RUNDLL error
    > would appear at startup. I followed the solutions mentioned in the
    > reply below and now I only have one message appearing. I tried using
    > the Msconfig utility to pinpoint whether the remaining RUNDLL message
    > was in the WIN.INI, Services, Startup, etc. Regardless of what
    > option I excluded from the startup, the message would still appear.
    > Any suggestions? Please help.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Gray
    >

    >> When I boot up and windows finishes loading (or very close to
    >> thing).
    >>
    >> Title Bar: RUNDLL
    >> Message: Error loading C:\Windows\sdkss32.dll
    >> The specified module could not be found
    >>
    >> This dll was removed by my virus program that labelled it as some
    >> sort of spam program. I believe this to be correct, so I'm not
    >> worried about that per say. Just trying to figure out how to remove
    >> the "boot" command that is telling my computer to look for the dll.
    >
    > Check your startup settings to find out what is causing this.
    > Applications that start with Windows can be found here:
    > - the WIN.INI, section [windows], entries "run=" and "load="
    > - the Registry keys
    > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
    > - the folders
    > C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\ALL USERS\START MENU\PROGRAMS\STARTUP
    > C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\{username}\START MENU\PROGRAMS\STARTUP
    > See also "How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows
    > XP" (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310560). There is something
    > left that still points to the spam program, so find this entry and
    > delete it.

Configuration Microsoft Windows XP