How to get audio for 1st monitor on Headphones, second audio on #2 TV

1969iggy

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
I have a monitor (LG monitor) that i'd like work on with head phones, and play TV on my second monitor for my kids (a samsung tv via HDMI).

I have the following set up on Windows 7 64 bit Pro

Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250
COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer
GIGABYTE GA-P55-UD4P LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard
SAPPHIRE 100283L Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card

The Samsung (2nd monitor) is on HDMI, and gets sound fine, but when i try to run something on the regular monitr, i find out how to send audio for that program to the headphones.

1969iggy

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
I want Curious George audio on the Samsung TV... and my work audio (sometimes video editing) on my headphones...

Two different audio outputs, one for each monitor...

Does that make sense?

r_manic

Administrator
For all intents and purposes, if you're controlling one computer, you can only work with one audio stream... no matter how many monitors you're using. The good news is that this single stream can handle multiple "voices" at the same time. Unfortunately, if you play multiple audio sources at the same time you will hear them all.

IIRC, if you use two different kinds of audio hardware on your computer—like the built-in sound card of your motherboard, and a separate dedicated sound card, you can just assign the audio streams of the various program you use to one or the other sound hardware. Not all applications have this ability unfortunately.

fluffy tech

Honorable
Apr 28, 2012

Fire up Windows Media Player. Go to Tool, Options, then click on the Devices Tab. Doubleclick the speakers and switch the output to, say from Back Speakers to Front Headphones. Now you have Youtube through the Back connections and an MP3 going on the front headphones.