PilotFrog

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2004
Hello,
I have 8 SATA connections on my MB. 4 are 3gb/s and 4 are 1.5gb/s For some reason only 2 of the 4 slots on the 3gb/s are working correctly. I want to know if I put my 2 WD Raptor 70GB 10000 rpm drives on the 1/5 gb/s slots, am i going to loose performance? Can the WD drives be bottlenecked by the 1/5 gb/s interface?

Depends on the model (what capacity are the Raptors). The 600 GB versions, benchmarked in 2009, reached 130 MB/s, so they were getting close to the limit two years ago. It's an awfully close call. You may not notice any effect. Affect?

Can you put one of the Raptors on a working SATA II port and do a quick benchmark?

By the way, what is the motherboard, and do you want to try to get the other SATA II ports to work?

It's only the more recent, highest-density drives that have transfer rates that exceed around 120+MByte/sec or so that are bottlenecked by SATA running at 1.5Gbit/sec. I can't imagine older 70GB Raptors being an issue. The Raptor's superior performance stems from their faster access times, not their transfer rates.

TRENDING THREADS