Mobo replacement?

diet15

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
Hello,
My puter had a sudden accident- went black and dead, I presume either Mobo or CPU burned out
Specs:CPU
Intel ’05 06788 Core 2 Quad 2.66 GHz/ 8M / 1.866 / 05A
L748B283
Mobo:
Intel DX38BT Motherboard LGA 775
Chipset Intel® X38 Express Chipset

I sent the Mobo to Intel on warranty, they inform me that they dont cover "shipping damage"
the Mobo was packed in bubble wrap+ styrofoam beans,apparently accepted by them without complaint
SO I believe they are just weaseling out of the warranty, as either the MOBO or the CPU is defective

TO the point: replacement Mobos go for ~225$+ S&H
If I buy a new one I still might find out that indeed the CPU burned out, not the Mobo

Question1: should I toss the combo and get a new MOBO /CPU combination? like I5 generation

Question 2: how to fix the above problem intelligently at lowest cost

thanks

DH

If you get an open box biostar or DFI board, they may send you a backplate for free. Just email them and tell them your board didn't come with one. Sometimes they don't even charge a shipping fee. Most newegg open box boards come with no accessories. Newegg also has some cheaper ddr3 Intel boards. Just use the advanced search feature and select "ddr3 1066".

diet15

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
To conclude
I spent days researching what makes sense today,from updating to "new" i7 920 to resurrecting.I concluded that resurrecting is far more economical, given all the peripheral costs.I bought a used ASUS P5E3 board on Ebay. Lets hope it works :)