Best wiring for a 4870 Toxic?

letztvondenPriesterlords

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
Ok so I have a 4870 Toxic to replace my current 4830 which only takes 1 6pin for power. I think I have a couple of different options on how to get power to that second 6pin on the toxic. I have an Antec smartpower modular PSU with four plugs to add different cables. Currently I am using all four setup like this
#1 6-pin PCIE
#2 SATA power
#3 Molex for rear 1 120mm and 1 140mm fans and 2 blue lights
#4 Molex for front 120mm illuminated fans

I actually only have the rear fans having their own cord because it was easier to look less cluttered and I wasnt sure if 1 molex cable could support 3 120mm fans, 1 140mm fan and the lights. So here I think are my options but I am not sure as I have never used a card that required to 6-pins before.

1) Pull one of the Molex cables and plug my second PCIE cord into that slot so it would be two seperate 6-pin PCIE cables coming directly from the power source (Probably the best way though I think its unlikely that the remaining molex cable is going to be able to power all 4 fans and the lights but I am thinking of removing the stand alone lights and disconnecting the LEDs from the fans - more on that later)

2) Run a molex to PCIE adaptor cable off of the existing molex cable for the front fans (I am not sure as to the possibility of success with this one due to the high power consumption of the PCIE)

3) Disconnect the existing PCIE from the PSU, connect a molex cable there and run two molex to PCIE adaptors off the same cable (also not sure of the success rate due to power consumption)

I have a feeling that the only option that is even viable is option number 1, if that is the case and I have to run all the fans off of one modular molex cable would there be any chance of success? As I stated earlier I was thinking of pulling those lights out and either cutting out the blue LEDs from the front fans or just getting fans without lights altogether (I liked the way the blue looked in all the pictures of the Antec 300 but in practice I find them pointless) so I would just need that cable to power those fans and not any extra's. If there is a possibility of getting all those fans to run on one cable would a 5th 120mm fan be possible? I am contemplating putting one in the Antec 300's side mount to get as much air to that card as possible.

Whew that was a longer question that I had anticipated, and I typed "molex" far too many times. I appreciate everyone's time and effort on this one.