Usb drive to dive copy makes CPU run 98 %

brookeg129

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
I just installed Window 7 every driver is updated.... no errors on device manager. When ever I try to back up my system or copy disk to disk...my CPU hits 98% and will not stop until I reboot. Drives are both WD2500JB USB. Everything else works great. I have deleated drivers and reinstalled them but I am stumped. Resource monitor showes System interupt to be the problem. Any thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks
Brooke G

Sounds like your drive is running in PIO mode. Try this:

--> Start -> (right-click on "Computer" ) -> Manage

--> Click on "Device Manager" in the left pane

--> In the right pane, double-click on "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers" to open it up, then do the following for each channel in turn:

-----> Right-click on the channel and select "Properties".

-----> Click on the "Advanced Settings" tab

-----> In the "Devices" box, make sure that the "Current Mode" is some variant of DMA

If a channel is not running in DMA mode then that's your problem. To fix the problem, right-click on the controller and uninstall it, then reboot.

brookeg129

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
"IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers" are not an option under device manager. I have disk drives , Human Interface devices, Portable devices, USB controlers. I have looked in all and have found nothing. I remember the dma choice in xp but I have not found anything in Windows 7. Thanks again

brookeg129

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
Yes. The main computer drive is a 750 GB ST375063 OSA SCSI Drive. Raid control message aways popped up about setup but this happened only after reboot and said NVIDIA want to know if i want to do striping or spanning. I only have one internal hard drive and you need more then on drive to do that I thought . I always stopped it because it said it would cause permanent deleation of information. This has happened since I bought the machine and was not a factor with vista 64 when backing up the external drives.

Thanks again for you help

Brooke