Sign in with
Your question

Weird computer crash when running games in unsupported resolutions

Last response: in Systems
August 23, 2009 5:52:18 PM

Hello!

System:

nVidia 260 GTX

Intel (R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9300 @ 2.50 GHz (4 CPUs)

Win XP 32 Bit

3 GB RAM

2 Harddrives @ 7200 rpm

I've recently fiddled with the config.wtf file to play with WoWs resolutions. I am running a dual monitor setup (1920*1080 main screen, 1440x900 secondary screen), and I tried to set my wow resolution to 1440x900. Now, this resolution was not supported in my nVidia Contron Panel (for my first screen!!).

After I modified config.wtf, and tried booting up wow, my second monitor turned off, and my main monitor repetetively switched between a black screen with an underscore on it, and my desktop in 8 bit colors. Then I had to do a hard reboot.

Could that crash be because I tried running wow in an unsupported resolution?

Thanks

In a "less wow focused way of explaining":
If you are starting a game up in a unsupported resolution, using a dual monitor setup, is it normal that the second monitor turns off, and the main monitor repetetively switches between a black screen with an underscore on it, and the desktop in 8 bit colors?
a b B Homebuilt system
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 23, 2009 6:16:13 PM

You are trying to run 8:5 resolution on a 16:9 monitor. You wonder why you are getting crashes when forcing it to run an unsupported resolution. hmm i wonder why that might be?

Either run WOW in a 16:9 aspect ratio on the 1920x1080 monitor or run it at 1440x900 on your second monitor. The reason for the weird behavior is likely because your graphics card is too busy trying to get the monitor to do the impossible that it cant run the second screen.

Dont do stupid stuff like modifying config files unless you know what you are doing, there doesnt seem to have been a valid reason for doing this so just reset the config file and it should work fine again. If you really need to lower the resolution use 1440x810 on your main screen as that is a 16:9 resolution.
August 23, 2009 7:06:56 PM

Hi hunter315

I'm gonna try and reset back to 1920x1080, and then I've gotta adjust the new things I installed after that...

I'll report back after testing!

Thanks in advance:) 
August 23, 2009 7:45:46 PM

It works, thanks a lot!
!