Dell 2408WFP flickering...

Status
Not open for further replies.

lukemunnell

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2009
Hi all,

I'm running an Inspiron 1545 Dell notebook (Vista home premium 64, 4bg ram, Pentium T4200 dual core processor, 500gb HD, Intel graphics media accelerator 4500MHD), with no apparent problems until recently.

I connected the notebook to my Dell 2408WFP monitor (one I've used with other systems with no problem), and am noticing a light, constant, backlit "flicker".

The flicker is different than a refresh rate problem (and, at the 1920x1200 resolution, 60GHz is the only option), and seems to be most prominent when the system is at idle -- if it is tasked with an operation like booting up, or something in Photoshop, the flicker dies down completely.

Monitor is connected via VGA, and I've never seen this issue using the monitor and VGA cable with other laptops or towers, only my 1545. Dell tech assure the monitor and laptop are 100% compatible, but a friend-tech told me the Intel graphics array can't handle the 2408wfp. But the fact that the flicker seems to go away as CPU usage rises, i don't think that's it...

Any suggestions?

sayito

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
my screen does that when I connect my laptop to it. It doesn't do it when I hook up anything else to it. In my case the problem is with my laptops power cable. disconnect your laptops power cable and see if that does anything.

lukemunnell

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2009
Problem solved! er...identified, at least.

I unplugged my power cord and the problem went away. Plugged it in and it immediately came back. As a bit of a car enthusiast, I know that running input/output speaker wiring too close to power wiring in a car can cause distortion like this to speakers or screens, and I'm assuming that's the problem.

Is there anything I can do to correct this issue, or is it simply a hardware fault that won't go away?

sayito

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
I haven't been able to fix the problem either. sorry :(

On a side note.. I didn't notice it until after my power cable tore a bit from folding it too much and stopped working. I fixed the cable and now it works but i get the flickering. I'll try using my roommate's power cable and see if that helps.

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
There are two ways to approach this .. use a power supply that emits less interference or a cable that provides more shielding.

Have you tried a thicker more shielded VGA cable?

That or a lower resolution.

I had a huge problem getting 1600x1200 @ 85hz working when passing through my KVM switch. The right cables got rid of all the interference.

lukemunnell

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2009
The VGA and A/C power plugs are situated about an inch away from each other on the computer, with two USB ports in between, so if the interference is a product of proximity, i'm guessing their wiring becomes closer once inside the computer. If that's the case, there's nothing practical to be done about it :-/

Open to suggestions...

mockwer

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
I had the dell 2408 flicker problem for two weeks. Frustrated with Dell phone support that I ended up buying a new graphics card at Frys. Still had that problem and thought it must be my old monitor. But fortunly I checked out my DVI-D cable and bought a new one, and all the flickering is gone. What a simply solution to my expensive problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS