Do I need a new video card?

runeswords

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2009
I have a 1.98G Core2 processor (upgradable to Kentsfield Quad Core Q6600, 2.40G, 8MB, 1066FSB, G0), 2 gigs of 800 DDR2 (upgradable to 2 gigs, but I have 32-bit XP), 500G 7200 RPM harddrive, and a Geforce 7950 GX2 video card.

I can run Aion on medium settings and get anywhere from 25-60 fps depending on if people are running around or not. So, I am guessing upgrading to an ATI 4850 would boost my performance? Or is that since my processor and ram are on the low/older side that it is creating a bottleneck?

I have a fresh install of XP, seperate partitions for OS/programs and junk, etc. So, a performance boost has to be within the hardware.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions, they are truly appreciated!

Solution
GPU issue here; Dual GPU solutions are prone to FPS jumping, and the 7950GX2 wasn't exactly the most efficent card when it came out...

Yeah, go with one of the above ^^

runeswords

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2009
Well, my mobo is only upgradable to an E6600/Q6600 (my mobo can only use 1066 FSB) which is why I was asking the questions.

So, with an E6300 processor and 7850 GX2 Video Card, I am guessing I should just save up my money and replace everything? Or will a video card upgrade make a major difference?

runeswords

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2009
Yeah, I tried OC'ing the processor, but considering this is a Dell XPS 410 that I just bought for $200 from my roommate until I am finished with college... it's not really letting me OC. I tried OC'ing using Clockgen and it gets unstable at 2G and at 2.1G I get BSOD.

I could whine and complain, but it beats the Pentium 4 setup I had a week ago, lol.

Oh well no biggie, I can handle low/medium graphics until this December when I graduate. If I ever get tempted to whine, I will just pull out my Pentium 4 and remind myself it could be worse :)

Thanks again to everyone that posted, but if you have any other advice, please share. It is truly appreciated!