Closed Solved

Are these temperatures correct? Or dangerous to my CPU?

My CPU is an Intel i7 930 , i got it at 3.8ghz right now anyway, at 1.2volts

the cooler im using is a scythe mugen rev b cpu cooler

ive re-fastend it and reseated it about 4-5 times but these high temps at this over clock never really change much at all, always in the 80s or higher, core 1 specifically likes to run extra hot.. maybe thats normal?

the thermal paste i use is arctic silver 5 , just the bead in the middle method, pea sized.

my case is a mid tower NZXT Gamma

inside is 6 Dimms of 2gb 1600mhz G.Skill ripjaws (12gb total)

two ati hd5770's in crossfire

and a 650 watt antec earthwatts PSU

and a dvd drive, some asus one..

theres 3 hard drives, well 2.. 2 western digital caviar blue's in raid 0 and a 64gb crucial M4 SSD

there are four 120mm fans, all the same style/brand spinning at about 1700-1900 rpms

2 are intakes, 2 our exhaust

there is 1 fan on my scythe mugen, pulling air through it twords the back , where the exhaust fan is only milimeters away.

im not sure what else to do, would a water cooling kit finally get this thing cooled down? i was thinking of an XSPC Rasa 750 RX240 or RS240.. not sure if a RX240 would fit inside my case or not yet, its about 4.8 inches wide so i gota get a measuring tape out.

or is my CPU showing signs of being from a bad batch? Heres a picture of my LinX running after about 11 minutes, CPU-Z up, and CoreTemp running

6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about temperatures correct dangerous
  1. Those temps. are not excessive but you are getting warm unless the room temp. is also warm. You may need a better HSF or more case airflow for higher OC'ing. The Scythe Mugen is only a moderate HSF.

http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm#INTELHEATSINK
  2. oh ok, what HSF would you reccomend to beat this one? would a Hyper 212+ be more efficient?
  3. Best answer
    Yes the Hyper 212+ would be a better choice and probably all you need unless you're going to go for maximum OC'ing.
  4. Best answer selected by kd0frg.
  5. Strange, i've come to look at them and my scythe mugen 2 rev b looks alot larger then the hyper 212+ , and more heat pipes, so i think my mugen 2 would have more surface area for better cooling in comparison??

i heard theres a hyper 212 evo out now as well, but from the link you pasted me, that spire heatsink appears to be the best one? but i couldnt find it on newegg
  6. This topic has been closed by 4ryan6
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Overclocking