I took the hard drive out of my old computer (XP) when the motherboard died. installed the old PATA drive in an enclosure to convert to an external. The drive is recognized, can open it and get to user files in documents and settings. However, if I try to copy, or open my folder, it says I do not have permission to access.
I even setup the same administrative name on my other computer (Vista 64 bit), but get same message.
I have a lot of old family pictures, and documents I do not want to loose. Anyone have suggestions?
You may need to take ownership of the drive. Look into cacls.exe or try this (XP):
1. right click on the drive that you want to take ownership of (in my computer) and choose properties
2. click on the 'security' tab
3. click the 'advanced' button
4. click the 'Owner' tab
5. under 'change owner to:' select your username
6. check the 'replace owner on subcontainers and objects'
7. click Apply (may take some time)
8. click on the 'Permissions' tab
9. click the 'add' button
10. type 'everyone' for all users to be able to access the drive. Type your user name just for yourself. OK it.
11. click the 'full control' checkbox under 'allow.' OK it.
12. check the 'replace permission entries on all child objects...' checkbox
13. OK it (result may take some time)
14. OK the last window
I haven't done this in a while, so if I left out any steps, someone jump in please.
I know this was posted a few years ago and I also know it's regarding XP procedures but I have to say thank you! I have Windows 7 and I've always had some kind of problem with the steps to gain full permissions following the steps I found in Windows HELP and/or websites all over.
But I followed your steps and applied a little 'common sense' to adjust for the difference in Windows versions and it worked! "Easy-Peezy"! I just cloned my 256GB SSD O/S drive to a new, faster, 500GB SSD. The clone went smooth but it seems that I always find a few programs that tend to want a new privilege/permissions named and won't open until they get one.
In the past, I've done work-arounds, re-installs, and even did the security permissions, (admin Privies), using the 'steps' I read on line. But it was always precarious and I'd succeed but never knowing for sure if I screwed something else up, (long story but trust me, it wasn't a quick & simple, cut & dry operation).
But not here, not today, and not when I used your touch and go steps. It worked, I knew it worked after I did it, and I'm 99% sure that I didn't lose any functionality anywhere else. So Thanks, again, Rich